New FZ-20 user...weird noise?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 22, 2005 5:29:41 AM

Hi,

I am new to digital photography, having bought a Panasonic FZ-20 earlier
this year. So far everything works great, except for when I take it out on
sunny days. When there is a lot of ambient light available, the camera makes
clicking noises when you try to focus it, or when auto-focusing on different
spots. It doesn't do this in artificial light. Is this normal for this model
(or digital cams in general) or a defect?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

More about : user weird noise

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:49:38 PM

Ray Muensch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital photography, having bought a Panasonic FZ-20
> earlier this year. So far everything works great, except for when I
> take it out on sunny days. When there is a lot of ambient light
> available, the camera makes clicking noises when you try to focus it,
> or when auto-focusing on different spots. It doesn't do this in
> artificial light. Is this normal for this model (or digital cams in
> general) or a defect?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ray

Doesn't sound correct - take it back to the shop and compare with another
FZ20.

David
March 24, 2005 4:49:54 AM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in message
> Ray Muensch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to digital photography, having bought a Panasonic FZ-20
> > earlier this year. So far everything works great, except for when I
> > take it out on sunny days. When there is a lot of ambient light
> > available, the camera makes clicking noises when you try to focus it,
> > or when auto-focusing on different spots. It doesn't do this in
> > artificial light. Is this normal for this model (or digital cams in
> > general) or a defect?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Ray
>
> Doesn't sound correct - take it back to the shop and compare with another
> FZ20.

Not necessarily true, David. My FZ20 makes all sorts of noises from the internal lens
element moving for auto focus and also the auto aperture in program mode. There is
also some noise from the OIS doing its job. Many people have asked about the noises
coming from this camera and everyone agrees that it is normal. When it stops making
noise I will start to worry.
March 24, 2005 11:50:06 AM

Ken wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:SSR%d.3128$Ab.590@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Ray Muensch wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am new to digital photography, having bought a Panasonic FZ-20
>>> earlier this year. So far everything works great, except for when I
>>> take it out on sunny days. When there is a lot of ambient light
>>> available, the camera makes clicking noises when you try to focus
>>> it, or when auto-focusing on different spots. It doesn't do this in
>>> artificial light. Is this normal for this model (or digital cams in
>>> general) or a defect?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Ray
>>
>> Doesn't sound correct - take it back to the shop and compare with
>> another FZ20.
>
> Not necessarily true, David. My FZ20 makes all sorts of noises from
> the internal lens element moving for auto focus and also the auto
> aperture in program mode. There is
> also some noise from the OIS doing its job. Many people have asked
> about the noises
> coming from this camera and everyone agrees that it is normal. When
> it stops making
> noise I will start to worry.

Thanks for that, Ken. Maybe it depends on the noise level. I've just
asked my wife who has used the camera continuously for the last three
weeks "Does it ever make clicking noises" and the answer was "No". I've
never been aware of clicking noises either, but of course you may have
better hearing than me!

However, my suggestion was to compare to a known good camera, and I still
think that's a good test.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 2:56:03 PM

wrote in message news:2bv0e.4364$Ab.1464@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Ken wrote:
> > "David J Taylor"
> > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> > message news:SSR%d.3128$Ab.590@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> >> Doesn't sound correct - take it back to the shop and compare with
> >> another FZ20.
> >
> > Not necessarily true, David. My FZ20 makes all sorts of noises from
> > the internal lens element moving for auto focus and also the auto
> > aperture in program mode. There is
> > also some noise from the OIS doing its job. Many people have asked
> > about the noises
> > coming from this camera and everyone agrees that it is normal. When
> > it stops making
> > noise I will start to worry.
>
> Thanks for that, Ken. Maybe it depends on the noise level. I've just
> asked my wife who has used the camera continuously for the last three
> weeks "Does it ever make clicking noises" and the answer was "No". I've
> never been aware of clicking noises either, but of course you may have
> better hearing than me!
>
> However, my suggestion was to compare to a known good camera, and I still
> think that's a good test.

I have heard clicking noises from mine when moving the camera from dark
scenes to brighter ones, so have assumed that it was the sound of the
aperture iris adjusting. Perhaps this is why you only hear it on sunny
days, as there will be a greater variation in light levels.

Charlie

Charlie
March 25, 2005 8:27:58 AM

"Herbal Coughs" <charlieb36@gerraway_with_yer_junk_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4242a909$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> wrote in message news:2bv0e.4364$Ab.1464@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> > Ken wrote:
> > > "David J Taylor"
> > > <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> > > message news:SSR%d.3128$Ab.590@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> > > Not necessarily true, David. My FZ20 makes all sorts of noises from
> > > the internal lens element moving for auto focus and also the auto
> > > aperture in program mode. There is
> > > also some noise from the OIS doing its job. Many people have asked
> > > about the noises
> > > coming from this camera and everyone agrees that it is normal. When
> > > it stops making
> > > noise I will start to worry.
> >
> > Thanks for that, Ken. Maybe it depends on the noise level. I've just
> > asked my wife who has used the camera continuously for the last three
> > weeks "Does it ever make clicking noises" and the answer was "No". I've
> > never been aware of clicking noises either, but of course you may have
> > better hearing than me!
> >
> > However, my suggestion was to compare to a known good camera, and I still
> > think that's a good test.
> >

> I have heard clicking noises from mine when moving the camera from dark
> scenes to brighter ones, so have assumed that it was the sound of the
> aperture iris adjusting. Perhaps this is why you only hear it on sunny
> days, as there will be a greater variation in light levels.

This is probably especially true when you have it set to spot metering. Even small
changes in light levels will cause the camera to automatically adjust the iris for any
changes in brightness. One of these days I'll have to check if the other metering modes
will change the amount of noise coming out of the camera....

Ken
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:05:11 AM

I've used one....In very bright light...with a filter and without....I can't
recall such a noise...best have it checked.

--
BOCH

!