[PSU & Case help] First build, $600 budget gaming PC

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
*note* You can skip down to Q1, just extra info in case you need it, questions are in bold.

After receiving much advice and recommendations on my original build, I believe that I'm coming close to finalizing my build. Also, I've decided that I'm going to overclock anything, I'm just gong to keep it simple go with factory settings. For all components to this build, I mainly used reviews from Newegg and the ratings on PCPartPicker to help with decisions.

Here is what I have so far:

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard ($48.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.84 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 460W ATX12V Power Supply ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $579.76
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

My questions with this build pertain to the PSU and the case.

Q1: Regarding the PSU, is 460 watts sufficient for this build?

- I read a few guides from this forum on calculating the amount of wattage that a computer outputs, and I calculated that this build would run around 270-290 watts, but I'm not totally sure if I did the calculations correctly. I also used a computer wattage calculator that was linked in one of the guides and it came to about 277-280 watts. I just don't know if I've made any mistakes.

Q2: Regarding the case, I'm not sure if the GPU that I picked out would fit into the case.
Case dimensions: 18.50" x 7.48" x 17.08"
GPU dimenstions: 11.4" x 5" x 1.5"

- Based on those dimensions, I would think that it would fit, but putting consideration on whether the size of the HD/Optical drive bays are going to be a factor, I've started to look into whether or not the GPU would fit, since it's known for having a beastly size, among other things.

I chose the Rosewill Challenger case for a number of reasons, one being it has "Tom's Hardware Approved" label on Newegg. Also, it comes with 3 fans, mostly tool-less, lots of airflow, bottom mounted PSU, etc. It look great as well. As for the Gigabyte Radeon 6950, I also chose it because of the TH approval, general feedback, features, and looks.

I know there is a lot written for two simple questions, but the more info the better, right? This is also my first post on these forums, I thought I'd take an extra step to make it look decent :p
Also, if you happen see any potential problems with my build, feel free to address them. Anything would help this newbie learn :sol:

Solution
For a system using one Radeon HD 6950 graphics card AMD recommends a 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors.

What's more important than the power supply's wattage is the power supply's minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating. Do not buy or use a power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating less than 33 Amps when running your system with a single Radeon HD 6950.

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks, I think I like the reviews on the CX430 a lot better than the one I had picked out. It looks like it's built better too.

In regards to the PSU question though, I'm assuming that PSU's in this wattage range is sufficient enough for this particular build, right?

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Ah, I see what you mean, thank you for pointing that out. I think I'll go with the CX500 then, reviews on the CX600 raises some concern.

For a system using one Radeon HD 6950 graphics card AMD recommends a 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors.

What's more important than the power supply's wattage is the power supply's minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating. Do not buy or use a power supply with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating less than 33 Amps when running your system with a single Radeon HD 6950.

Solution

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

If I'm understanding this correctly, then the +12V cont. current rating is referring to the output, so...

What's listed on Newegg is that this PSU has these outputs: +3.3V@25A, +5V@20A, +12V@34A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

So, the +12V cont. current rating is +12V@34A, which I think is sufficient, right?

It just meets the minimum recommended requirements.

My preference is have some reserve. I would look for one with at least 38 Amps or greater. It's always better to have more than not enough.

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Ok, so I think I've found the one here.

OCZ Technology OCZ600MXSP
Wattage: 600
Output: +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V1@25A, +12V2@25A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2.5A (So thats a combined 50 amps?)
PCI-E: 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin (I don't have to use the extra +2 right?)

The OCZ ModXStream Pro Series 600W - OCZ600MXSP has the following +12V rail distribution and specifications:

+12V1: The cables that are permanently attached to the power supply.

+12V2: The cables from the modular cabling system.

Max Combined Power +12V1 & +12V2: 504W

Max Combined Output Current +12V1 & +12V2: 42A

This means that the CPU and graphics card are on separate rails which is ideal.

This power supply unit has one 6+2Pin PCI Express Connector and one 6 Pin PCI Express Connector. Two of the pins detach from the 6+2Pin PCI Express Connector so that you can use it as a 6 Pin PCI Express Connector.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

go here
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Best psu database I know off. All the connectors, links to reviews and 99 percent of the models with all the details

beenthere

Distinguished
If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Saw some reviews. With a 1st i7 @3,7Ghz + HD6950 running crysis.
System peaked at 322W (ref. Tomshardware, guru3d, techspot)

Assuming ALL the system is powered up by 12v rails to study the worst case. We assume that the maximum amperage ever needed in this system is 27A in 12V rail.

Saying this I think that any 12v@30A is enough to your system.

EDIT: Btw, try to get a 1 12v rail PSU and stay away from some multi-rail PSUs, it COULD result in some combination problems as per this website:
"http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Featured/Why-PSU.aspx"
Is showing.
It's not usual to reach this limitation, but is not impossible.

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

For RAM, I heard that it's better to use RAM with a speed of 1333 when using an AMD processor. Even though it shouldn't affect my build too much, I would feel more comfortable running with a recommended speed.

As for the native resolution, do you mean the resolution on the monitor that I'm going to use? It's 1920x 1080

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up, how would I be able to tell the amount of space that a case allows for GPU's?

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

That's the guide that I followed. After going through calculations, I felt a bit paranoid and figured that I'd be better off asking for other opinions. Thanks for leading towards this link though, at least I know that I was going in the correct general direction :)

Combination of looking through reviews and sometimes manufacturers will actually provide numbers on their website.

Yes, with the HDD cage removed that case can take GPUs up to 15"/39cm.

Love_Peace

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, duh, I completely overlooked going to the manufacturer website for those specs. Lesson learned, haha :D