New AMD CPU

Hi Guys,
I'm looking a for a new Cpu to pair with my Asrock M3A770DE. My computer is primarily for gaming. I'm looking for a new processor because my current athlon x4 doesn't have enough power to feed my 2 6850 graphics cards, but that's a whole other thread.

Id like to stick with my motherboard, which means staying AMD and AM3.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. It supports all of them so pick one http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=M3A770DE I personally would get the 955BE + aftermarket cooler and overclock it.
  2. And either of those will work well without bottlenecking my 6850s ?
  3. Since it's only $5 more, I would go with the 965.
  4. tjcoops said:
    And either of those will work well without bottlenecking my 6850s ?


    yes, both will work well.
  5. +1 to Rolli59, a 955 with an after market cpu cooler can be OC'd very nicely... Got mine to 4ghz no problem, but then again it depends on the chip...
  6. Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I'm off for some sleep now.
  7. After helping my friend out with building his New PC he's given me his old AMD Phenom X2 550, I've seen proof that this particular processor does unlock to a quad core. When unlocked would I see much performance gain versus my current athlon X4 635?
    Thanks
  8. tjcoops said:
    After helping my friend out with building his New PC he's given me his old AMD Phenom X2 550, I've seen proof that this particular processor does unlock to a quad core. When unlocked would I see much performance gain versus my current athlon X4 635?
    Thanks


    Yes, if you can unlock it to a quad core, it will be much better than the athlon x4 because of the 6mb of L3 cache it has, which has been shown to make an improvement in gaming.
  9. IMO you'll have slight bottlenecking, as Phenom II @ 3.8ghz bottlenecks 5870 crossfire, but a decent Phenom II X4 + OC will be as good as you're gonna get.
  10. Raidur said:
    IMO you'll have slight bottlenecking, as Phenom II @ 3.8ghz bottlenecks 5870 crossfire, but a decent Phenom II X4 + OC will be as good as you're gonna get.


    But if he can unlock his friends 550, it will be a quadcore (b50 I believe) with just as much L2 and L3 cache as the 955. And if im not mistaken the 550 callisto is also a BE, so overclocking would be fairly simple. But it all depends on if he can unlock the cores and maintain stability.
  11. I've installed the AMD 550 BE, and it does unlock to a quad successfully. I'm going to wait my new thermal paste to come as I'm using some really terrible stuff at the moment. Just ordered some Arctic MX4.
    I hear they OC quite well so I'll give it a go when I get my new paste to come :)
  12. Great to hear! enjoy!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product