Really need to overclock opinions ?

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
i use to think that i needed the fastest cpu on earth to do what i wanted which is producing music mostly which in my opinion is far more cpu intensive than gaming at a pretty high level , ive got an i5 2500k at stock and flies through everything i chuck at it compared to my old q6600 so at the minute i really cant see why i should oc it and what MOST other people would need to oc it to,to achieve what they require satisfactory or are people just getting caught up in overclocking their sandybridge as far as it can go and reducing the life of their cpu, don mean to sound like a twat but just wondered what other people thought and also ive had a few beers so i might just be blabbering on abit lol :pt1cable:

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Overclocking is fun to do, to see how high your CPU can go... And it can add some performance increase. I have had a lot of overclocked CPUs and I have never had one short out on me. What I mean to say is, even if you do OC your cpu, and it does reduce its lifespan, realize that you will probably upgrade your CPU before that happens. IMO, have fun with the CPU you buy, unless you dont know what you are doing, or just have no interest in OCing. Your i5-2500k will do great at stock, sometimes its nice to just see how high you can get your CPU. In the end, what really matters is architecture over clock speed, as we have seen numerous times, back when AMD Athlon64 was lower clocked than intel and beating them, as well as in the present where lower clocked intels are beating AMDs bulldozer. I look more at an architecture and stepping over base clock speed. Just my opinion tho :)

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

yeah i know mate sorry bout that :non:

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I still have my Intel Celeron 300a and Abit BH6 MB clocked to 450. Still in the case. I could plug it in now and run it but seriously doubt BF3 would run on it. Has an STB Velocity 128 in it.