Got an older series graphic card?

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
just a tip if you have an older graphic card works on new ones as well though if your not happy with the temps your getting and dont like to turn the speed up because of the noise one solution i found last night was you can get a stock processor cooling fan and arrange the position on the other side of the card above the chip i used a little double sided tape and stuck it too the screws and brought it down by 7C so just a simple way that don't cost a thing :) if you want to see how to do it look up on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3UjSGynRc works with both ati and nvidia

One of the most important things is to ensure adequate case cooling:

1) 120mm case fan at the front-bottom
2) 120mm case fan at the top-rear (in-line with the CPU fan if possible)

That's the minimum. The fans can usually be very low flow, quiet fans.

A method similar to what you recommend is to have a case like the awesome Antec 100 ($60) and also have a fan on the side of the case, the graphics card is often right next to it so there's a little extra air flow provided.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
i havent seen that case but i think i know what its like but i only meant this for people that dont want to pay for new case and fans personally i dont need it i have the 6970 direct cu 2 overclocked to 980 reaches maybe 40C idle and full load depending on the game like crysis 2 reaches around 67C but my mate has the 4850 used to reach 50C idle and 90C and above full load but now hovers round the 39C idle and 80C top full load area which i thinks is a great achievement :)