jaytrinitron

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I currently have 8gb of ram on my i5 desktop, and I am going to upgrade to 12gb. While perusing the internet yesterday, I read about ram disks, which are pieces of ram that act like disk drives for your computer. My question is, if I put my temp folder and page file on a ram disk, (Right now they are on a samsung 830 256gb ssd) would my computer speed up? All the articles I read were quite old, and what I'm asking is whether using a ram disk for my temp folder an page file would really speed up a modern computer. If I do make a ram disk, I'lll have 1 4gb ram disk and the rest will be regular ram.

Looks like one way to measure lifespan is "(capacity*p/e cycle rating)/amount written per day" and worst case p/e appears to be 3000 cycles. Guessing your formatted capacity is around 230GB. Assuming you do some insane amount of writing, say 100GB/day every single day, then... (230*3000)/100 = 18.9 *years*. Effectively, it doesn't matter where your pagefile or temp folders are if you plan to replace the SSD in a reasonable amount of time.

Please double-check my math...

On a side note, I turned my pagefile off completely with no ill effects to date.

If it is on SSD, you will not notice any speed up with temp folder on it.

Try it.

What is the benefit?

In a word: SPEED!

Most users use RAMDisk to speed up applications like:
Browsers cache
RAM Cache for the HDD or SSD
Photoshop (scratch disk)
Databases
Internet Explorer cache for faster web surfing
Audio and Video editing
CAD programs
Software compilers
Speeding up CD duplication
Games
SETI processing
TEMP files
Swap space
Web server cache
Custom applications with high I/O, high bandwidth, or high security requirements

When I transfer 2GB file from the RAMdisc to my 2TB HDD it starts high around 1.2GB/s the transfer speed.

Than it goes down of course, but it takes -> one, two done!

Well, I don't play games. But when u play and u need some CD or DVD in the DVD drive, create IMG file and mount that in the RAM disk.

But for games I cannot give much of the advice, since I don't play them.

To get max benefit, than installing game on it must help, but u need large RAM disk.

Or move the cache from the game if there is any.

Sorry, don't know with games.

I play old Millipede or Commando and such : ) If I do.