Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help fix bootloader

Last response: in Windows 7
January 5, 2010 7:41:40 PM

ok so i will start this from the beginning.
i built my grandparents a new pc for christmas and i took there old one home with me and was testing out linux on it.
so i was just using a live cd trying to get some old files of the hdd and i then swapped it over to my pc (dual booting win xp and win 7). when i tried to boot for one reason or another it tried to load grub (to no avail) so i said "ok i will just do this later" and took it out. when i tried to boot it it still tried to load grub (still to no avail) so then i put the win7 disk in and try to reinstall the bootloader and it doesnt find my win7 install only xp.
I am really out of ideas here so please help me out. if you help me and it works then i will be greatly in debt towards so thanks in advance.

Tom :??: 

More about : fix bootloader

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2010 8:05:27 PM

Try making the Windows 7 partition the active one. You can do this using the "Active" command in diskpart. Just run the Advanced repair options from the DVD, open a command prompt and type "diskpart". Read the link and the online help (type "help" at the diskpart prompt) to make sure you know how to select the correct partition.

I had this very problem today and had to make the Windows 7 partition the active one before any sort of recovery would work.
January 5, 2010 8:16:38 PM

Thanks i will try that and respond back
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2010 8:19:23 PM

just a quick question how do i find which partition is the win7 partition
m
l
January 5, 2010 8:53:11 PM

check some of the files/folders in the partions

one of the folders that only W7 has is the folder BOOT
m
l
January 5, 2010 9:06:35 PM

so i have that active now it says "BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart"
Now what?
m
l
January 5, 2010 11:30:58 PM

Got it working but now xp doesnt show up?
ant further help will be appreciated greatly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2010 9:15:36 AM

redead said:
Got it working but now xp doesnt show up?
ant further help will be appreciated greatly.

Download EasyBCD. This will allow you to set up a boot menu for the two installations. (Sorry - I should have mentioned the bit about BOOTMGR. I'm sure you discovered that once the repair option could see your installation it was able to repair the boot files; it took a couple of goes on mine. And I should also have mentioned EasyBCD earlier - it's a great utility.)
m
l
!