Hello,

More about : wireless problem

a c 79 F Wireless
January 14, 2011 6:10:46 PM

what is the problem?
January 14, 2011 6:44:36 PM

Emerald said:
what is the problem?

Sorry about that last post . Just tried to full edit but it wouldnt allow me so her goes:

I had Virgin media install Broadband in my garage where i have a little office set up.
They installed a Superhub VMDG480 by Netgear dont know if its an N or G Router). This is the Accesspoint.
I have two laptops Samsungs X20`s Centrino. They are used in the frontroom which is abot 20-25 feet away with 4-5 walls between them.

So i found a Belkin N router F5D8236-4v1 and connected that to the Superhub with a 5ft ethernet cable connection between them thinking the N router would boost the signal so i get full strength and distance but i`m getting 11-28Mbs and low strength. What i thought of doing is to bring the Belking closer to the frontroom but to do that i would have to disconnect the ethernet cable from the belkin/Superhub which cuts out the internet,
And to bring the Belkin closer to the frontroom i would need 40 feet of ethernet cable to get the same connection status!

Currently the connections are:

Cable screwed to superhub
Yellow ethernet cable from hub to Desktop PC.
Blue ethernet cable from Belkin on main port to Port one on Superhub.

Is there a way of doing this ?

I have i got the connections wrong! thus enabling me to bring the belkin closer to the laptops or do i need extra hardware ?

Thankyou for your time mate

Related resources
a c 79 F Wireless
January 14, 2011 8:02:38 PM

in your case it is the amount of wall that are between the router and the laptops.

see if you can reduce it to 1 or max 2 walls.

the way you connected everything is fine just get a longer cable and positioning it in an elavated location like a book shelve will help, too.
January 14, 2011 8:33:34 PM

Thanks for your reply
I heard that the longer the cable there is a loss of strength i.e like voltage drop on a welding return cable. The length is a major factor for data carrying and these can drop if the cable is to long - up and around door frames ect. is this so or can i just get a 30 foot ethernet cable.

Can you GET a 30 foot ethernet cable?

Thanks
a c 79 F Wireless
January 14, 2011 8:41:47 PM

the max length for CAT5 network cable is 300 feet.

you will be fine running 30 feet without loosing any signal

if I remember right, the standard length is 25ft and 50ft
January 14, 2011 8:55:52 PM

Awe thanks mate i just googled it at its cheap as chips so i recon i can connect the patch cable from the accesspoint, move the other router into the front room and run the patch ethernet cable between the two and i will get the full strength :)  hurray cheers pal thinking now of connecting the ps3 and wii in a similiar way using the other ports on the routers

thanks again
!