Graphic card trouble

G

Hey, I need some help... A few days ago my computer's graphics suddenly glitched, as in the resolution switched to very low one and there are now dots everywhere and the colors suck. So I figured it must have something to do with my graphic card (an Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT). I tried re-installing the drivers, I even deleted everything related to nvidia while in safe mode and re-installed the drivers, but for some reason it still says there is no driver installed and that the display is not attached to an nvidia device. I tried restoring the system to a date where the card worked, but the only restore points are after that. So, what I'm asking here is, is there any other possible solution, or is my card completely fried?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Some things to do:

Try the card in another computer known to work perfectly fine and see how it is.

Try YOUR computer with a graphics card (maybe a friends) known to work fine.

From this you will be able to pinpoint which is at fault and go from there. Due to the age of your card, it may be done for, but do those things above to make a decisive ruling.

G

I don't HAVE another computer... :( And all of my friends have laptops.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Then the options are limited. If possible, try buying a really really cheap graphics card (like a 5450) and trying it in your computer to see if that works fine. If it does, you know it's your card. If not, there is possibly a problem with both your card and your computer itself.

Aside from that, wipe the HDD and re-install Windows + everything else.