Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quad Core Issue

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:31:39 AM

Hi, I'm one of the suckers that bought an AMD FX-4100. It's not bad, compared to my E8400, it's about equal really. I havea question about the speed of one of the cores. When I monitor the frequency of the cores individually, Core #0 is constantly droping from 3.7 ghz to 1.4 and the multiplier at the same time drops from x18 to x7. The other 3 cores hold steady at 3.7 ghz. Is this normal or do I have a faulty cpu? I'd like to know for sure while I still have time to get a replacement. Thanks,

More about : quad core issue

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:35:53 AM

Do you have anything in the bios thats throttling it down on low usage?
Cool and quiet type setting?
Moto
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:36:06 AM

dont that chips have a Turbo?
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2011 12:36:37 AM

12pak said:
Hi, I'm one of the suckers that bought an AMD FX-4100. It's not bad, compared to my E8400, it's about equal really. I havea question about the speed of one of the cores. When I monitor the frequency of the cores individually, Core #0 is constantly droping from 3.7 ghz to 1.4 and the multiplier at the same time drops from x18 to x7. The other 3 cores hold steady at 3.7 ghz. Is this normal or do I have a faulty cpu? I'd like to know for sure while I still have time to get a replacement. Thanks,

PS: The interval that this is happening is about every 5 seconds. The drop sustains for about 1-2 seconds, then ramps back up, only to drop again another 5 seconds later. When playing Call of Duty UO (Old game) My frame rate drops from about 500 to less than 100 at about the same intervals. When palying modern games however, this doesn't happen. They seem smooth as silk. I'm still concerned though, seems unusual.
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:38:57 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Do you have anything in the bios thats throttling it down on low usage?
Cool and quiet type setting?
Moto

I'm not entirely sure. My board is a GA-990XA-UD3 Gigabyte. I did enable the Turbo setting, but I did NOT enable the energy saver that comes with. I'll double check on the cool and quiet thing. I don't think this board has that option.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 12:42:41 AM

run prime on it and see what it does
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:48:45 AM

gnomio said:
run prime on it and see what it does

Ok, what is prime and wehre do I get it?
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:57:33 AM

gnomio, after looking at the bios, there is indeed AMD K8 Cool and Quiet set to auto. If I disable this, will my Hyper 212 Evo still increase rpm's as needed?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 1:20:38 AM

12pak said:
gnomio, after looking at the bios, there is indeed AMD K8 Cool and Quiet set to auto. If I disable this, will my Hyper 212 Evo still increase rpm's as needed?

Off course. That feature is a Amd feature, Nothing to do with the cooler. Your cooler work on a sensor and will increase the speed as fit if it detects your cpu temps rising. After all thats its job
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:39:31 AM

Ok, thanks again. I am out of time for tonight, I will disable that option and test the monitor again to see if that is what is causing the effect. If this effect is normal, I have no problem with it, as it will save power in the long run, I just want to make sure the cpu is not deffective before my 30 day replacement is up at newegg. I'll let ya know how it goes tommorrow night.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 1:54:38 AM

12pak said:
Ok, thanks again. I am out of time for tonight, I will disable that option and test the monitor again to see if that is what is causing the effect. If this effect is normal, I have no problem with it, as it will save power in the long run, I just want to make sure the cpu is not deffective before my 30 day replacement is up at newegg. I'll let ya know how it goes tommorrow night.

power saving on a cpu especially desktop aint much. Disabling it wont dent your powerbill or anything. Like a drop of water into a 1000 gallon tank
m
l
November 8, 2011 9:54:58 PM

Since disabling teh Cool and Quiet feature, the fluctuation has stopped. Thanks for the help ;) 
m
l
November 8, 2011 9:55:35 PM

Best answer selected by 12pak.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
November 9, 2011 12:06:44 AM

No probs man, ty for B.a
Moto
m
l