Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Who has the best drivers?

Total: 0 vote

• NVidia
  • 0 %
  • AMD
  • 0 %
June 6, 2011 2:29:47 PM

Honestly, the graphics cards are always so close at release (hardware-wise) that it is hard to tell which to go with. I've been switching back and forth from NVidia to ATI/AMD for years. The reason is that I tend to have problems with one or the others drivers in any given release cycle. Does anyone have any idea which are performing better right now, given the GTX 500 and Radeon 6000 series cards?

I currently have a 5970, but I cannot upgrade to the latest batch of drivers because they cause random BSODs and hard-locks on my system -- which is SUPER annoying given the price of that card. I'm sure the latest drivers 'improve' its speed some, but they also improve the instability of my system.

More about : nvidia amd drivers

a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 2:32:03 PM

AMD tend to be good or bad from release to release, i'm always afraid to update my 5970 from a set of good drivers in case the latest set are utter crap. But the releases are regular (monthly).

Nvidia drivers are released as and when they please, but generally are more stable, give guaranteed performance increases and very rarely cause detriment to cards. Sometimes they mess up, but when they mess up it's spectacular (remember the fan issue with SC2?).

Both sides have merits and weaknesses, something we must all live with.
June 6, 2011 2:40:54 PM

Lol.. I heard about some cards "melting" with SC2, which was hilarious. I guess they certainly improved performance. I can't ever play those games, can't think fast enough. I have to build a "fort" first, and by that time, my GPU will have melted.

If I try to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on my laptop with an 8800GT in it, it feels like its going to melt and then shuts off. I think it would burn my leg if I didnt have jeans on... the GPU is on the back left of the ACER and gets MAD hot.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 5:04:42 PM

For me personally AMD and nVidia are more or less the same, both companies have stable drivers, but just new ones sometimes are messed up.
June 6, 2011 5:50:07 PM

nvidia drivers are better for the most part. CCC is STILL a pain to navigate.

As for the SC2 incident nvidia cards with passive cooling (heatsinks) overheated since there was no frame cap. I doubt anyone here uses passively cooled video cards.

nvidia primary market is video cards while AMD's is CPUs and it their support or lack thereof shows.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 6:06:57 PM

AMD drivers usually result in a more stable system, and Steam reports show this to be fact. However, some of AMD drivers have annoying bugs. There are almost always a set of good drivers, but sometimes the latest ones will not be the best.

Nvidia drivers are more likely to cause your system to crash, but they are fewer small bugs. Of course they've had a few set backs where they had drivers that damaged hardware.

I can't say what are best in the end. They both have their problems. The one thing I can say is I do like Nvidia's method off fine tuning individual games within their control panel, it's a lot easier to use than AMD's profiles.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 6:10:12 PM

bystander said:
AMD drivers usually result in a more stable system, and Steam reports show this to be fact. However, some of AMD drivers have annoying bugs. There are almost always a set of good drivers, but sometimes the latest ones will not be the best.

Nvidia drivers are more likely to cause your system to crash,
but they are fewer small bugs. Of course they've had a few set backs where they had drivers that damaged hardware.

I can't say what are best in the end. They both have their problems. The one thing I can say is I do like Nvidia's method off fine tuning individual games within their control panel, it's a lot easier to use than AMD's profiles.

Now that's cobblers.
June 6, 2011 6:10:31 PM

Wait do you have a link to backup this wild BS you're spewing about a more stable system?

Ignore this fanboy AMD shill; if you ask on a hardcore forum (overclock.net) there's a clear majority.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 6:30:55 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Now that's cobblers.

You might agree with me if I detail what is meant by that more. Most Nvidia users share the experience.

Most the time Nvidia drivers experience a problem, the whole system crashes, not just the game, not just the drivers. When an AMD system has a problem it usually crashes the drivers and reloads them, many times, it doesn't even stop the game.

I went to look for the Steam report, I can't find it now, but surely, as a die hard Nvidia user, I'm sure you've experience full system crashes while gaming. I know I have.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 6:33:37 PM

bystander said:
You might agree with me if I detail what is meant by that more. Most Nvidia users share the experience.

Most the time Nvidia drivers experience a problem, the whole system crashes, not just the game, not just the drivers. When an AMD system has a problem it usually crashes the drivers and reloads them, many times, it doesn't even stop the game.

I went to look for the Steam report, I can't find it now, but surely, as a die hard Nvidia user, I'm sure you've experience full system crashes while gaming. I know I have.

I've had the game crash but not the whole system, maybe I just build a better system than you do?
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 6:33:55 PM

^ Bystander, your comment is way off, its funny my experience has been exactly the opposite.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 6:45:31 PM

Well, I'm just going by a nice Steam report which was brought here a few months ago, and personal experience. The only system crashes I've ever had with the AMD systems were when I had an unstable overclock, of course that also happens with Nvidia systems.

I guess we can only go by what experiences we've had, since I didn't save that report from Steam. Like I said, I find both have their problems, both are pretty similar, but I do prefer Nvidia's control panel for application settings.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:03:30 PM

ignoranceabound said:
Wait do you have a link to backup this wild BS you're spewing about a more stable system?

Ignore this fanboy AMD shill; if you ask on a hardcore forum (overclock.net) there's a clear majority.

If I was an AMD fanboy, don't you think I'd say AMD's drivers were better? I pointed out advantages and disadvantages of both and even finished by say they were similar, but I preferred Nvidia's control panel for adjusting settings.

I find it hard to consider that Fanboyism.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:13:04 PM

bystander said:
If I was an AMD fanboy, don't you think I'd say AMD's drivers were better? I pointed out advantages and disadvantages of both and even finished by say they were similar, but I preferred Nvidia's control panel for adjusting settings.

I find it hard to consider that Fanboyism.

Well you did fail to mention the GSOD/vertical stripes issue that plagued the 5 series in their early days and how AMD/ATi refused to even acknowledge the problem until they were shamed into doing so by various websites that ran articles on the problem, after which AMD/ATi very quietly rolled out a fix in the 10.4 drivers IIRC.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:17:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Well you did fail to mention the GSOD/vertical stripes issue that plagued the 5 series in their early days and how AMD/ATi refused to even acknowledge the problem until they were shamed into doing so by various websites that ran articles on the problem, after which AMD/ATi very quietly rolled out a fix in the 10.4 drivers IIRC.

I know of the problem and I do agree that was a major gaff, but I don't believe it was a driver issue, but a hardware one, with the reference cards more specifically. If you asked about quality of the cards, I would have mentioned that the 5 series had some major issues and I still will not recommend these super cheap 58xx cards because if it, even though they should be great performance for the cost.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:20:51 PM

bystander said:
I know of the problem and I do agree that was a major gaff, but I don't believe it was a driver issue, but a hardware one, with the reference cards more specifically. If you asked about quality of the cards, I would have mentioned that the 5 series had some major issues and I still will not recommend these super cheap 58xx cards because if it, even though they should be great performance for the cost.

Personally I think they buggered up the BIOS settings but didn't want to admit it (and indeed they never have).
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:23:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Personally I think they buggered up the BIOS settings but didn't want to admit it (and indeed they never have).

I personally think they buggered up the reference design of cooling the VRM's and didn't want to admit it, and decided that they'd blame it on drivers so they didn't have to have a recall.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:28:57 PM

bystander said:
I personally think they buggered up the reference design of cooling the VRM's and didn't want to admit it, and decided that they'd blame it on drivers so they didn't have to have a recall.

The issue seemed to occur when the cards went into low power mode for the most part which would suggest they got the BIOS settings wrong, the crap cooling on the VRM's was more of a 5970 problem.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:37:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The issue seemed to occur when the cards went into low power mode for the most part which would suggest they got the BIOS settings wrong, the crap cooling on the VRM's was more of a 5970 problem.

Maybe, but most people could eliminate the problem (with the 5xxx cards at least), by lowering the memory clock.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:39:35 PM

bystander said:
Maybe, but most people could eliminate the problem (with the 5xxx cards at least), by lowering the memory clock.

But you shouldn't have to do that, the card should just work as advertised.
June 6, 2011 7:46:58 PM

Shouldn't this thread be shut down since it's a flame war? Let people have their own opinion with what's better since both sides have pros and cons
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 7:57:15 PM

Ari3sgr3gg0 said:
Shouldn't this thread be shut down since it's a flame war? Let people have their own opinion with what's better since both sides have pros and cons

Where's the war?
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 8:09:51 PM

^^yeah hardly a flame war this is actually an intelligent debate for once, instead of the usual foaming at the mouth, I think that in general for a single card the drivers from AMD are no issue but with a crossfire config, at least from my experience, they were pathetic, however for a single gpu I think either are fine, I own a secondary rig with a 5770 and have had no issue, on the other hand my previous 6870 crossfire setup was pathetic, finally I am quite happy with the drivers running my single gtx 570
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 8:17:20 PM

jjb8675309 said:
^^yeah hardly a flame war this is actually an intelligent debate for once, instead of the usual foaming at the mouth, I think that in general for a single card the drivers from AMD are no issue but with a crossfire config, at least from my experience, they were pathetic, however for a single gpu I think either are fine, I own a secondary rig with a 5770 and have had no issue, on the other hand my previous 6870 crossfire setup was pathetic, finally I am quite happy with the drivers running my single gtx 570

I am a bit wary when updating the drivers for my 560's though as the fans are now controlled by the drivers (unlike my 8800GT's and 9500GT) and Nvidia have had a couple of issues in this area.
June 6, 2011 8:20:29 PM

I have only used Nvidia Drivers and have only minor issues.I can't badmouth AMD/ATI.My next build will be based off the AM3+(Bulldozer)And even though we can use SLI..I think I'll go with 6950 or 6970's in 3-way Crossfire since my first 3 builds were Intel and Nvidia.Gotta give AMD a chance here.
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 8:21:55 PM

yeah well using msi afterburner with my gtx 570 works just fi although mine does not oc very well only 770 on the core with stock voltage and no room for mem increase but nonetheless that likely has nothing to do with drivers and it is fast enough at stock
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2011 8:26:18 PM

both offer good solutions at different performance/price points but in the end I truly feel that there is a reason that you pay a bit of a premium price for an nvidia product and that reason is slightly better drivers, imho... however the differences can be hard to quantify for some, furthermore some people are more anal about drivers than others
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 11:08:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But you shouldn't have to do that, the card should just work as advertised.

I agree, it's just that due to how you could eliminate the problem, and also how I found that my 5870's thermal tape was fried to a crisp, I just believed the issue was related to overheating VRM's.

Don't get me wrong, we are both suspicious of a similar fault. I just thought it was due to poor heating or power phase setup with their hardware design. You thought it was the bios. Either way, it shouldn't have happen and it appears neither of us believed it was the drivers at fault.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
June 6, 2011 11:11:50 PM

jjb8675309 said:

Due to your experiences with the 68xx cards, I do not recommend that card under no circumstance on these forums. I however have not seen the same issues with the 69xx cards, so I do like those. Due to my own personal experience with the 58xx cards, and many others I've seen around with the vertical line issue, I do not recommend those cards under no circumstance.

The 6950 was revised, so there could even be an architecture issue with the 68xx cards or a conflict with certain hardware.
June 6, 2011 11:30:48 PM

You are computer illiterate; stop "trying" to give advice.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 1:22:40 AM

who are you talking to ignorant?
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 1:23:26 AM

bystander said:
Due to your experiences with the 68xx cards, I do not recommend that card under no circumstance on these forums. I however have not seen the same issues with the 69xx cards, so I do like those. Due to my own personal experience with the 58xx cards, and many others I've seen around with the vertical line issue, I do not recommend those cards under no circumstance.

The 6950 was revised, so there could even be an architecture issue with the 68xx cards or a conflict with certain hardware.

sounds good I have heard of no issue with 69XX either but personally would still be wary
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 1:56:00 AM

Listening to all this hogwash again is tiring.
Both companies do fine for the most part, and do the pooch at times, period
June 7, 2011 2:12:23 AM

jjb8675309 said:
who are you talking to ignorant?

Most people who post in these forums apparently.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 2:25:36 AM

yeah time to kill this
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 2:46:23 AM

Nvidia's drivers are almost always bad for when a card is newly released, as for AMD, it takes them a while to get it right.

From experience.
June 7, 2011 2:51:20 AM

nvidia is WORSE for newly released cards. It's just they get it right faster than AMD.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 4:42:42 AM

^Nice, our systems are very similar
June 7, 2011 5:40:17 AM

Do AMD or Nvidia have better Crossfire/SLi profiles?

I'm thinking about 2x 6950/70 or 2x 570/80 but alot of people say that Crossfire/SLi has alot of issues such as stuttering and isn't supported on release of most games..

From experience which is better? or is just a single card updated every 18 months a better call?
June 7, 2011 5:53:26 AM

nvidia has better profiles but for multiple monitors and GPUs the 2GB VRAM of AMD cards is a definite advantage.

My GTX 460s work great in SLi but a single card solution will always be less of a hassle.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 10:32:04 AM

ignoranceabound said:
Most people who post in these forums apparently.

Says the Apprentice to all the Addicts and Veterens. I don't say this often, but GTFO.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 3:26:33 PM

^^yeah ive owned both, my 6870s sounded like a jet engine compared to my gtx 570 which is silent even with a ramped up fan and cool temps too. Before that the 4890 was hot and loud, before that my 8800 gt was loud and hot; so I guess I will just judge cards on an individual basis.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 3:27:15 PM

Griffolion said:
Says the Apprentice to all the Addicts and Veterens. I don't say this often, but GTFO.

Lol no worries his comment holds no clout, and to say that to a vietnam vet; tisk tisk
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 7, 2011 5:21:42 PM

olliiee said:
Do AMD or Nvidia have better Crossfire/SLi profiles?

I'm thinking about 2x 6950/70 or 2x 570/80 but alot of people say that Crossfire/SLi has alot of issues such as stuttering and isn't supported on release of most games..

From experience which is better? or is just a single card updated every 18 months a better call?

I can't speak for Crossfire but most if not every game I've tried or played in the last seven years or so has supported SLi and microstutter will not exist if you build the rig properly with the right combination of parts and that's the key, matching up the right bits. Too many people cheap out on the CPU so they can get more powerful cards thinking that by OC'ing the CPU all will be well and it just doesn't work as simple as that.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 6:47:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I can't speak for Crossfire but most if not every game I've tried or played in the last seven years or so has supported SLi and microstutter will not exist if you build the rig properly with the right combination of parts and that's the key, matching up the right bits. Too many people cheap out on the CPU so they can get more powerful cards thinking that by OC'ing the CPU all will be well and it just doesn't work as simple as that.

yes and for that matter that could have been a big part of why 6870 crossfire worked poorly on my rig, 2 gpus requires more cpu overhead, but from my experience I feel like it was more of a driver thing as the 6870s in crossfire offered poor minimum fps
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a c 171 Î Nvidia
June 7, 2011 6:55:14 PM

jjb8675309 said:
yes and for that matter that could have been a big part of why 6870 crossfire worked poorly on my rig, 2 gpus requires more cpu overhead, but from my experience I feel like it was more of a driver thing as the 6870s in crossfire offered poor minimum fps

I haven't built an AMD rig since the socket 939 days so I can't really comment on whether it was the CPU holding back the cards or not but judging by the amount of posts from people who have issues with ATi/AMD's drivers, I wouldn't that out as being the source of the problem.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2011 7:00:23 PM

yeah well basically I still think it was the drivers, but for a single card, ive never had major issue with amd/ati
June 19, 2011 2:53:05 AM

I have never used a decent Nvidia graphics card, other than the not-so-much processor of the 320m in my MacBook Pro. However, I do own an ATI Radeon 3870 x2 and have it running in my current rig(I know, really old) But, that's beside the point. What I do not like about this card is the sole problem with the fan it comes with. ATI cards are LOUD! And generally, Nvidia seems to be more stable with drivers. Also, AMD cards aren't that great with cloud textures, but i don't know why. This is just my two cents.
June 19, 2011 4:33:09 AM

bystander said:

I was always getting black screens of death and looping sound in BFBC2 with my 8800gts 320mb and lga1155 i5 2400 until I reformatted and updated 8800gts 320mb drivers a month after initial build (Nvidia released a few drivers since initial install).

I'm wondering if I shouldn't reformat after I get a new video card ? Do you download window's updates?
June 19, 2011 5:24:00 AM

Nvidia graphics cards have always been known for having better drivers and better in-game performance than ATI (now AMD) graphics cards. This is common knowledge in the PC gaming world.
!