Worried about my comp. TIPS for a noob!

spartakush

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I've had my comp for about 7 months?

i7 2600k (cousin got it for me for $180 he works at Intel in Nor Cal designing CPU's or something like that)
8GB G.Skill RAM
1 TB Seagate HDD
P8P67 Pro (the one that doesn't do anything bad to your SATA)
GTX 460 2GB from my aunt that works at PALIT
Corsair 650tx PSU
ANTEC illusion 300

So that worked out for me so far. But now I wanted to upgrade cause ARMA 3 and BF3 is coming out! And I wanted to max EVERYTHING out at 1920x1080. So the PALIT branch my aunt works at is closing and she's good friends with the warehouse keeper and her boss (only 3 people at that branch) and so the warehouse keeper said she can take any 3 things she wants. So she got me a 580 (refurbished but she said that she chose the ones where people just buy the card to test it and return it in a month, so she said lightly used) and got a company computer and I don't know the other thing. Oh yeah they don't carry 590's if your wondering that's why I didn't get one. But anyways I got the card and this wire. I took out my old card put in the new one. Spent an hour trying to make it fit with I THINK was the hard drive power cable that was being blocked by the card. eventually found a way to put the wire in while having the card in.

so thing is. I had to squish the cord hard and put it in a "un-natrual position". so the cord is like butt to butt on my graphics card queezed and touching the chip part of the graphics card. so is a lot of other wires touching the whole graphics card back on the opposite end of the fan.

so waht im wondering is, is it ok that my cable is squeezed like that? i think it's pretty durable its thin but it let me mold it kind of easy just spend 3 mins holding it in place like that. and is it ok that the wires are touching the chips or whatever is on the backside of the gphx card

thanks,
as you can tell i'm not too computer smart

also im using hardware sensors monitor 4.5. my cpu is at 33 celcius and my psu is at 32 celcius. hdd is at 32 celcius. cpu1 is at 1150 rpm. and lots of stuff about voltages. and my graphics is at 45 celcius? is that ok? i turn my fans in the case up to high even though its loud because i live in sunny summer so cal by the beaches.

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Okay so the answer is it may be okay and it may not be, you should be okay as long as the graphics card does not get too hot. But if it does get hot then you run the risk of melting the cables, if your cord really is that tight. If the cables melt then it could ruin your graphics card and the cable, if i were you then i would just buy a budget gaming computer case, most of them will be able to fit larger graphics cards. Hope this helped.

I think you should be fine. To be safe, because there's no reason not to, you could wrap a little duct tape around the part where it touches.
The idle temperatures, which are what you're measuring, are not what matters. The temperatures under full load are important. To get those, run stress tests at separate times on the CPU and GPU. Prime95 works well for the CPU, and Furmark or one of its spinoffs for the GPU.