Upgrading from e8400 to i5-2500k for bf3

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Battlefield
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2011 3:22:50 AM

Hello, im thinking of upgrading my rig to play bf3. Currently using a e8400 with a HD4890 and 4gb of ram. Will I see a significant performance increase if I upgrade my cpu? or some other components will affect performace. (Currently running at 1920x1080 Low with 20-30 avg fps)

More about : upgrading e8400 2500k bf3

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 3:38:12 AM

that cpu should be enough to drive that videocard in bf3. if its not, oc the cpu. in order to check if an upgraded cpu would help you, even at all. simply open up task manager while laying bf3. if the cpu is running at 100 percent, you will benefit from a better cpu. try overclocking it before buying a new cpu though. i still think your current rig is well balanced.
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:40:04 AM

well if you want to upgrade your cpu, you are going to have to upgrade your motherboard, and probably your ram (assuming it is ddr2).

This upgrade will cost you roughly:

220 for the cpu
110-160 for the mobo
40 for the ram

You will also have to either xfire your gpu or buy a new gpu

Assuming a 560 ti add another 250.00

so with the cpu upgrade you looking at about 400.00 add a gtx 560 ti your total is about 650.00.

BF3 is a very gpu bounded game, so upgrading your GPU is the best option, but your cpu is increasingly becoming dated. You could buy a quad core 755 CPU, but investing money into a dead socket seems illogical, if not limited by finances.

Best option buy a new gpu, overclock your cpu if needed.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2011 3:49:23 AM

Well the 6950 is double the horsepower of the 4890 roughly if you go by toms charts. If you want the quickest and cheapest upgrade that would probably be it. Monitor your cpu usage as previous posts have suggested, if it is above 90 percent for extended periods of time you should eventually upgrade. Your video card is holding you back at the moment as it is fairly aged for a game like that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just make sure not to inadvertently order a 1gig model that would bite you in the ass.
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:55:41 AM

thanks for the replies guys. Will OC my cpu to monitor for any performance increase. Will the stock cpu cooler suffice for moderate overclocking? If not, could you guys recommend a universal socket cpu cooler (does that exist? =/)
Thanks!
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:12:11 AM

Stock cooler is usually pretty fine for 3.7-3.9 ghz on those dual cores. Andy higher and you'll need an aftermarket cooler, but you still wouldn't get much higher than 4ghz with one anyway.

It seems these old core2 duos are just keeping up in bf3. My 2500k @ 4.5ghz can push 200 frames tho :p 
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:17:27 AM

lozz08 said:
Stock cooler is usually pretty fine for 3.7-3.9 ghz on those dual cores. Andy higher and you'll need an aftermarket cooler, but you still wouldn't get much higher than 4ghz with one anyway.

It seems these old core2 duos are just keeping up in bf3. My 2500k @ 4.5ghz can push 200 frames tho :p 

=( after reading that I feel like simply dumping my money on a i5-2500k combo
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:26:52 AM

200 fps is not necessary nor does it matter, also he probably has a much better gpu or multiple gpus, he also cant be running on ultra or max settings, and if he is his screen resolution is probably lower than 1920x1080.

But i am curious as to what lozz88 gpu setup is.
m
l
December 30, 2011 1:20:10 AM

I just upgraded from an E8400 to an i5-2500K w/Vertex3 SSD drive and the results are amazing. In August I replaced my 8800GT with a GTX570 and I thought upgrading the graphics card would be enough but with BF3 and Deus Ex I realized my cpu was holding me back.

BF3 on Ultra went from playable to silky smooth. I've found it's actually a lot easier to aim and get kills when your system isn't lagging.

Deus Ex went from stuttering and unplayable with SSAO in high to silky smooth.

I remember 5 years ago when I bought the E8400 I thought would last much longer. Back then some people were saying a quad core for gaming was a waste of money because there's only so much a game needs processed in parallel and you can't process too far ahead in a game either. Fast-forward to today and games are now optimized for 4 cores.

I would say the cpu upgrade makes the biggest difference in gaming and the SSD upgrade makes the biggest difference with applications and overall system performance. I know they're expensive, but get at least a 120GB so you can not only put Windows7, but also all your programs and a couple games. Buying the SSD is best computer upgrade i've ever made.
m
l
!