P9x79 fails to post - Corsair Dominator DHX+ (CMP4GX3M2A1600C8)

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi,
I've just built my new system with Asus p9x79 and two sets of Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB.

I have huge problems with getting this PC to POST. The only way to do it, is in BIOS recovery mode.
- I've tried the memOK button, but it still fails.
- The QLED shows/stops at 19 (Pre-memory PCH initialization is started)
- I've updated the bios to the latest one
- I've tried to take out one and one brick as well, but still same problem.
- I've tried setting down the hertz to 1333. And the timings to 9-9-9-24

I've seem similar post as this one, but not exactly the same, and I'm rely stuck here.

Please help!

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Q1 - What CPU?
Q2 - What exact ASUS P9X79 model ; example http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/
Q3 - Are all of the sticks installed in the 'Blue' DIMM slots?
Q4 - What version of the latest BIOS version (.ROM) or (.CAP)?

Well first of all those are Dual Channel kits and the next issues that they're 1.65v kits on top of that and IF all you did was to set the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 then I can guarantee they'll fail. In the day the CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 were fine, but my concern is the VCCSA Voltage required to make them work properly might be too high.

Further, I'm guessing here but I assume you have a SB-E i7-3820. That CPU really requires the latest (.ROM) BIOS revision to work properly. I noted what you said.

CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 ; DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v ; DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-1N @ 1.50v
CPU-z
attachment.php

Assuming BIOS rev 1203, vanilla ASUS P9X79 try these settings first:

BIOS:
F5 ; Load Optimized Defaults
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1333
-
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2N ; yep 2N
-
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v
DRAM Voltage AB -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage CD -> 1.55v
F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

If you continue to have issues then boot with (1) stick @ a time. You might have a bad stick.
| -- | -- | -- | -- | CPU | -- | 2GB | -- | -- | ; 1 stick configuration

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for a good answer jaquith.

Q1: I have the Intel Core i7 3930k model.
Q2: Asus P9x79 Deluxe
Q3: All the sticks are in the Blue DIMM slots yes. I tried the black ones as well. And I've tried with one stick at the time.
Q4: I've tried upgrading one bios at the time. But I'm now on the latest. So I've converted the bios to .CAP. It's the 2002 version.

My CPU-Z looks just like the one you posted.

Same BIOS settings, try manually setting as I posted first.

IF that works problem free then try the following but @ CAS 9.

BIOS:
F5 ; Load Optimized Defaults
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual
Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600
-
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2N
-
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.10v
DRAM Voltage AB -> 1.64v
DRAM Voltage CD -> 1.64v
F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

That's right. All failures.
I really can't understand it. Why won't it boot when it now works in recovery mode!!!

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Suggestion to a different memory that is in fact contemptible with this motherboard? That's on the same performance level as dominator.
Is the GT series any good? I saw one place that it was supposed to be optimized for LGA2011.

IF Memtest is failing and/or IF the 'DRAM LED' is ON with all 6 scenarios listed then you've got other issues beyond the RAM itself. I'd breadboard the MOBO i.e. remove the MOBO from the case. I assume that in the process of installing the HSF on LGA 2011 that ALL you did was to use x4 standoffs + 4 nuts + the HSF itself -- i.e. no backplate. A short or grounding short from the case standoff's and or an improperly mounted HSF i.e. added backplate can mimic a DRAM LED problem.

IF the RAM was throwing errors prior to you installing the OS then sure it's corrupted and the SSD or HDD needs to be reformatted and the OS re-installed AFTER ypou can pass Memtest FIRST! As a rule I always test the memory with Memtest86+ FIRST then IF it passes then I'l install the OS.

Sure the GT's are fine but they're expensive.

Any of these Corsair kits are fine -> http://www.corsair.com/us/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/quad-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits.html

I like my DDR3L-1600 (1.35v) Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G or CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 or in general a Quad Channel kit of DDR3-1600 4x4GB CAS 9 as the most reliable solution.

Re-installing the OS on LGA 2011 -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume-sleep-booted-raid#t2068879

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
So, I red your post, and I went ahead to disconnect everything, to completely take out the MOBO and installing it again.
BUT, and this is a bit embarrassing :pfff: , I noticed that the main power cable to the MOBO where not completely "locked in". So I went ahead to try to correct it. And it was really hard to fit in to place, but it went in eventually.

I connected the power cable again, and it posted with out problem :bounce:

But, it booted to the wrong OS (bios setting). So I turned it off again with the Power switch. And when I turned it on again, the light was there again!!
So I went ahead to try the MemOK! button, and it actually worked this time. It set the memory to 1333mhz.

So I don't know if I dare to shut down the computer now. Because this looks like the scenario that happened the when I first tried this. MemOk! worked one time then as well.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a try! Wish me luck!!

Possible issue once the power issue is fully resolved, IF you have a BIOS evasive application i.e. ASUS AI Suite then every time the OS gets loaded once it will in-turn change the BIOS settings and IF they're 'bad' then you're in a situation of the proverbial "Dog chasing its' tail." The solution is to uninstall the AI Suite, boot into the BIOS, change the settings and boot back into Windows.

Q - Is AI Suite installed?

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

You know what? I have, and I actually thought about that, but I didn't uninstall it, cause I didn't not believe it could be "that bad". I'll try that once I get home from work. Because everything was back to normal after a few boots last night.

Thanks again for a good advice!

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
It's not solving the problem.

I find it incredible strange.
Last night, when after I had fixed the power cable, I booted the PC. Everything worked. Then I shut it down. And I had to run MemOK! - Works. New shutdown -> MemOK! - Does not work. And we're back to start.
Today, when I powered on the machine, it went straight on. I had pushed the clear cmos button yesterday, but usually I need to hold in "del" button to make it go in to recovery mode. It's actually really tricky to get it to boot in to recovery mode, works 1 out of 5 times maybe. And it seems like this have a connection to how long th PC has been on or how hot it is!
But the components inside the machine (cpu, memory, chipsets) are not to hot when I touch them.

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

- ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, Socket-2011 ATX, X79, 8xDDR3, 4xPCIe(3.0)x16, CFX&SLI, 2xGbLAN, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, WiFi,EFI
- 2 x Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 DHX+, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i3/i5/i7, w/Connector, 1.65v
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DVI-D+DVI-I, native-HDMI, DisplayPort
- Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, Six Core, 3.2Ghz, 12MB, Boxed, no fan included
- Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling
- OCZ SSD Vertex 4 Series 2.5" 128GB
- Lian li PC-101 (Case)

The case and the PSU is the only things I did not upgrade. I can't remember the name of the PSU. But it's a modular PSU - I think it's on 850w.

Okay.

Lian li PC-101 - Uses are 'real' standoffs so it shouldn't be the problem.
/Double check the Front Panel connections and that a +/- didn't get mixed-up
/For now disconnect the USB headers from the case and other non-critical devices

Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled - Folks can improperly install so I'd take-5 and watch this video.
/Installation video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqw_XlyLPTg

OCZ SSD Vertex 4 Series 2.5" 128GB - The Vertex 4 has one bad version of firmware, so IMO use the latest v1.5.
/Note if your SSD shipped with 1.3 or 1.4RC it will 'wipe' the drive, but I assume there's nothing on it yet. If you did install the OS with corruption then I'd re-install the OS anyway.
/OCZ Firmware and instructions - http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_4_and_Agility_4/

Power - it's imperative that the PSU is providing clean power with good connections to all power pins. So far I have my concerns so unplug and reseat all power connections and check the plugs particularly the 8/24-pin and 6/8-pins to GPUs. With a modular make sure PCIe power isn't mixed with other power connections (check manual), and since you have a modular PSU then double-check BOTH connections (Device & PSU).

RAM - IF the system can sustain operation for Memtest then leave the RAM in place. If it cannot then only use (1) stick of RAM until the problems are fully sorted out.
| -- | -- | -- | -- | CPU | -- | 2GB | -- | -- | ; 1 stick configuration

GPU - Use the top PCIe slot and double-check all 6/8-pins are properly connected. Many GPU's have power LEDs in much the same way as the MOBO has power LEDs.

Q - What Q-LEDs are on when you power up?

IF you can boot and stay in the BIOS consistently then it's typically a power connection issue when you cannot.

Worst case breadboard and if possible try a different PSU.

Also most folks do not install Windows 7 correctly on their LGA 2011's; see my guide -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303873-30-wont-resume-sleep-booted-raid#t2068879

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yes, I have used it with my previous build and it works fine. I had an issue with some of the USB ports (overpower or something), in the front panel in the previous build. But that's all. So the USB ports are already disconnected. I have just the necessary components connected.

I've seen that, and done as it says. works perfectly. cpu is on about 35 degrees.

I have 1.4 something. I booted up on another installation that's on another hard drive, and I tried to upgrade the vertex 4 to 1.5 but I got an error "Error: 36". And I can't find any info on that error message.

But the disk is working great. And the windows installation is working great. I even tried some gaming - no problem at all.
And with regards to the guide you refer to later in your answer, I'm not sure if I need to use that since it works that great?
I use windows 7 enterprise 64 bit with june updates.
It found the disk with out needing to provide extra drivers (with F6).

It's the same PSU that I used on my previous bild. No problem with that one. But I have another one that I could try with.

I also have another set from the previous build, it's a set with 6 gig (set with 3 sticks). I might try that set as well.
If' not, I'll try the one stick configuration.

I've tried all the slots now. It's now in GPU slot #1.

The DRAM led is constantly on when it's not posting. And the QLED shows starts at 09 and stops at 19.

So, I think I need you to verify what breadboard is, because I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Ok, then I did understand you after all :)

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Soo... I tried a new(older) PSU now. 780W. Works like a charm. Are even running the memory overclocked on over 1600mhz...

So strange...

rah1983

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

hehe, yes. I guess "that was strange" is the most common word in the IT industry.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!