Sign in with
Your question

Switching between sound from my DTV vs sound from computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2011 8:01:48 PM

Hi folks -

Is there some brilliant way to toggle between getting sound from my DTV hooked up to my computer - and sound from my computer speakers - without having to change settings and reboot everytime?

I've having to do a reboot of my computer every time I want to have switch between having sound from my DTV versus having sound from my computer speakers. My DTV is hooked up to graphics card on my computer with a HDMI cable

After much trial and error I finally found that I can go into my Hardware/Device Manager and disable my SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio - then reboot and I will end up with a 'rear audio input' setting 'default' and sound to my DTV - but then there's no sound from my computer speakers.

Then If I want to have sound back from my computer speakers I have to go back into Computer/Properties/Hardware/ DeviceManager/Sound, video and game controllers/ and re-enable the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio then reboot.

Is there some smart way that I can basically toggle between sound for my DTV and sound for my computer speakers without having to reboot? Heck - I'd even be happy with having sound on for both and then I can just turn the volume off which ever one one I didn't want on.

Essentially I have two Hardware/Device Manager profiles stored for startup now but I hate rebooting– but it's basically it’s either that or manually going into my Computer/Properties/ /Hardware/ DeviceManager/Sound, video and game controllers/SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and disabling the SoundMAX then rebooting to get my DTV to have sound with a ‘rear audio input’ setting - which is what I default to when I disable my SoundMAX.

Dell Dimension 8400 3.4 GHz
3 GB DDR2RAM
ATI Radeon HD 1GB HD 4670 Graphics Card
Windows XP Pro
Realtek 'High Definition Audio Bus' Audio Driver download
Plus a big honking Philips DTV
Hdmi male male cable between my Philips DTV and ATI Radeon HD 4670

Any help would be appreciated - you guys have been great in the past
June 7, 2011 11:03:35 PM

blutopie said:
Hi folks -

Is there some brilliant way to toggle between getting sound from my DTV hooked up to my computer - and sound from my computer speakers - without having to change settings and reboot everytime?

I've having to do a reboot of my computer every time I want to have switch between having sound from my DTV versus having sound from my computer speakers. My DTV is hooked up to graphics card on my computer with a HDMI cable

After much trial and error I finally found that I can go into my Hardware/Device Manager and disable my SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio - then reboot and I will end up with a 'rear audio input' setting 'default' and sound to my DTV - but then there's no sound from my computer speakers.

Then If I want to have sound back from my computer speakers I have to go back into Computer/Properties/Hardware/ DeviceManager/Sound, video and game controllers/ and re-enable the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio then reboot.

Is there some smart way that I can basically toggle between sound for my DTV and sound for my computer speakers without having to reboot? Heck - I'd even be happy with having sound on for both and then I can just turn the volume off which ever one one I didn't want on.

Essentially I have two Hardware/Device Manager profiles stored for startup now but I hate rebooting– but it's basically it’s either that or manually going into my Computer/Properties/ /Hardware/ DeviceManager/Sound, video and game controllers/SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio and disabling the SoundMAX then rebooting to get my DTV to have sound with a ‘rear audio input’ setting - which is what I default to when I disable my SoundMAX.

Dell Dimension 8400 3.4 GHz
3 GB DDR2RAM
ATI Radeon HD 1GB HD 4670 Graphics Card
Windows XP Pro
Realtek 'High Definition Audio Bus' Audio Driver download
Plus a big honking Philips DTV
Hdmi male male cable between my Philips DTV and ATI Radeon HD 4670

Any help would be appreciated - you guys have been great in the past

HEY!
Stumbling around I figured out something that is working - on my Device Manager/Monitors I found two 'PLUG AND PLAY' Monitors listed. Fooling around with these worked for me - my fixt was to have the 2nd 'PLUG AND PLAY' Monitor DISABLED and now I can just 'toggle' between having my DeviceManager/Sound, video and game controllers/SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio ENABLED versus DISABLED to hear sound from either my Computer or DTV, respectively, without having to reboot my computer

Yipee!

m
l
!