$800 first gaming PC

trainjumping

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Finally getting my first gaming PC my current computer is running on a Radeon HD 5600 and a tri-core AMD can't remember but it's not that great. No parts to salvage though since the whole computer is going to my little brother. I've been reading a lot of posts on the forums to try and get a basic understanding of building and what components are good.

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: 800 preferably before rebates but after isn't a big deal.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and minor web surfing.

Parts Not required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not a big deal would rather all from one site for convenience but what ever is cheapest.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: I like Nvidea my friend has a computer that uses Nvidea and it looks super nice.

Overclocking: Yes, if it is necessary for the games i'm planning on playing. TF2, Diablo3, SC2, Mass Effect2 and of course skyrim

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, not likely i'd rather just upgrade a single graphics card even if it is a bit more.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Primarily

Additional Comments: Something that can run games with minimal lag and that won't need to be completely replaced in a year to keep up. I don't plan on playing any extremely demanding games like crysis 2 or BF3. Mainly RPGs and probably dota 2.

A bit overzealous for an $800 budget, huh? The i5/P67 will work, but the 570 will eat the entire rest of the budget.

I'd look at the combo deals on Newegg to see what you can round up. Also, I've been helping out another guy and came up with this build for him @ $786.91 after MIRs.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HaK

There are several changes you could make:
1) More expandable motherboard for a second GPU down the road (the 750W Antec will support a 2nd 560Ti)
2) Cheaper case - Antec 100 for $40
3) Cheaper GPU - Asus 6870 for $170 as opposed to the GTX 560Ti for $240-$25 MIR
4) Cheaper PSU - Antec HCG-620 for $70-$20 MIR (will NOT support SLI GTX 560Ti, might support CF 6870s)

It most likely will turn on, but it will most likely not support the GPUs at load, and even if it did it would be stressing the PSU too much and shorten its life. Efficiencies would also drop.

I tried replying to this earlier but my internet at work suuuuuuuuuucccckkkkksssss...

The $850 build might actually work - just use the HAF 912, no SSD, opt for the Antec 750W I listed in my build, and it should be just about $800.

ok yeah you got a point, for the extra headroom I could see a 750w or greater being more fitting

Latest posts