Your question

Idle CPU up and down

Last response: in CPUs
November 8, 2011 7:28:39 AM

My current spec is.
Intel i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 LE Motherboard
Zalman CNPS9900MAX CPU cooler.

The CPU idle temp used to be around 24-25ºC when the CPU fans and chassis fans are on standard.
However the CPU temperature has crept up to 30-32ºC when idle and turning the all the fans on to full speed has zero effect on the temperature at all where usually it would make quite a difference.

I have noticed the CPU temperatures are not reading steady. I watched my computer idle for 5 mins with the temp being updated every second. I would see huge jumps in the temp reading at times. It for example the readings would say 30, 30, 30, 22, 38, 32, 30, 30, 30, 38, 26, 30
I have never witnessed this before, and when the temp changes I noted the CPU and it was still hanging around the 1-2% in use.
I turned all the fans on full speed, again no change in the CPU temp (Motherboard temp dropped a degree or 2) and I witnessed exactly the same fluctuation.
I have blown the computer out with an air compressor, put a vacume cleaner in to get rid of the dust.

Does any one have ideas what could be causing it as I think it is causing my computer to bluescreen and also randomly turn off. (when it turns off there is no report in the events as to why it turned off)

Thanks in advanced.

More about : idle cpu

a b à CPUs
November 8, 2011 8:39:41 AM

The next thing you want to try is reinstall the HSF and re-apply the thermal paste...
Try that and see if that makes any changes or not...
!