(NOT SOLVED) Help with "no signal" to monitor

pinnacle2009

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
9/5/2011: Updated title.

So my computer was having issues. I was getting no signal to my monitor. Took it to the local repair shop, and had it tested to find the problem. Owner confirmed my GPU was the problem (at no cost! kudos to him).

Anyway, I need to replace my ATI 5770. I would really like to get a slightly better card and with my budget being something less than $200, I should be able to, however, I want something that I will not need to upgrade my PSU or anything else.

System:
-1 x GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
-1 x Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-1 x ADATA XPG Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G

-1 x OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
-1 x AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX

And replacing:
-1 x XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I was looking at the 6850 and 6870, but really not sure. I haven't been keeping myself up to date with all the new stuff coming out!

Solution
Just out of curiosity, have you checked with XFX to see if they will replace your card with the lifetime warranty? The 5770 is still a pretty solid little card, and if you were to hold up and wait for a little while you might be able to manage more of an upgrade for your $200.

I don't know if you are fixed on getting an ATI card. If so, I like the 6870 given your budget. However, if you are willing to look at NVIDIA cards, the GTX 560 is in the same price range, as is the GTX 560 ti, and both should give you similar, if not slightly better performance. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Just out of curiosity, have you checked with XFX to see if they will replace your card with the lifetime warranty? The 5770 is still a pretty solid little card, and if you were to hold up and wait for a little while you might be able to manage more of an upgrade for your $200.

I don't know if you are fixed on getting an ATI card. If so, I like the 6870 given your budget. However, if you are willing to look at NVIDIA cards, the GTX 560 is in the same price range, as is the GTX 560 ti, and both should give you similar, if not slightly better performance. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Solution

pinnacle2009

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Thanks gallen! I just put in a ticket with XFX. Hopefully it will all work out. If not, I will look at the 6870. Might check out the Nvidia card also.

Any particular brands better than others?

gallen89

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I used to recommend EVGA for NVIDIA cards, but I just had an 8800GS melt in my system, and when I purchased a new GTX 460, the card shipped with one dead DVI port and (amazingly) an inability to display the color red...So, that has tempered my approach to that company. I like XFX for the lifetime warranty thing, which really is a nice feature. PNY has been around for a while, also, though their cards tend to be pricier. I would read reviews and customer satisfaction posts on Newegg, they tend to be pretty solid. The only brands I don't tend to like are brands like Sparkle, EliteGroup, and Jaton. Also Diamond, because the customer support isn't very good.

pinnacle2009

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
So, this may still be unsolved..

When I sent the card into XFX, they mailed me back saying nothing was wrong with the card (however, they are replacing it anyway). I am supposed to be getting it back today. The only other thing I know to do before I have to send the whole computer somewhere, is to try to reset BIOS (just pull out the battery, right?)

Is there anything else I can do? Besides just replacing piece by piece until I find the problem; I don't have the cash to do that.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
No Display problem happens because of faulty MoBo's.
Does the CPU Fan spin when you turn the PC on? If so, then the CPU is alright. Still if it doesnt spin and the CPU Chip gets heated up, that too means the CPU is alright.

What are your Processor and MoBo? Connect a keyboard and then turn it on!

pinnacle2009

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
The processor and mobo are listed in the original post. All fans and everything work. I was going to just keep my eye out for deals or specials from newegg. Just not sure what to look for. All I know to look for is mobo's that are compatibile, not sure what to look for in a BIOS and all that stuff.