Sign in with
Your question
Solved

6870 needs 2 6 pin power cables, but PSU only has 1 6 pin power cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2011 10:57:12 PM

Hello. I just bought a 6870 from Newegg, and put it in my computer, only to realize that my PSU only has one 6-pin power cable, but i need two 6-pin power cables. I also have a 4-pin power cable. What should I do? Is there some kind of adapter that I could use? If so please tell me, If there is a different solution other than that or buying a new PSU that would be even better. Thank you in advance - Jrwizbang

P.S. (Please respond as soon as possible.)
June 6, 2011 11:05:25 PM

What PSU do you have (brand and model, not just wattage). You'll want to be sure it is actually capable of powering your card before you use adapters.
Related resources

Best solution

June 6, 2011 11:33:14 PM

The 6870 only just needs the second connector (it wouldn't need it if it ignored PCI-E 1.1). You can use the PCI-E to molex adapter if you need to. Your PSU should be enough to power it, but only just. I recommend you upgrade your PSU if your system becomes unstable when you stress it.
June 6, 2011 11:49:10 PM

Which one is the second connector? And plus, thank you. I will use the adapter and let you know how well my PSU does, and if it is not stable could you recommend me a new PSU?I think it will be okay but once again thank you both.
June 6, 2011 11:49:37 PM

Best answer selected by Jrwizbang.
June 6, 2011 11:52:11 PM

A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the better brands. 500W-550W should be sufficient, and will have your PC operating in the middle of its range, where it is most efficient.
June 7, 2011 3:42:29 AM

I am getting a 700w-750w modular psu.
!