New motherboard installed, 100% CPU fan speed, no audio

rectec

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hello, community. I've been having problems with this computer from day 1. I bought a debranded HP Pavilion desktop off of Newegg about 5 or 6 months ago. After numerous memory errors and failures, I determined that the RAM slots were faulty. Of course, the only solution was to replace the motherboard. So I bought a new MSI 760GM-P23 from eBay, and had the guys at the local computer shop install it. I got the computer back today, inspected the inside of the case, checked the wires... everything seemed to be in the right place. I hooked the PC up and booted it to find that the CPU fan was at maximum speed. I tried booting to Ubuntu and setting up pwmconfig, and only 1 of the 3 listed PWMs actually controls a fan, which is the rear exhaust fan. I booted to Windows and fiddled around with Speedfan, which listed 5 PWMs and the GPU fan speed. Again, only 1 PWM worked.

I've tried disabling C&Q, and I've tried setting "CPU Smart FAN Target" to all the lowest settings and rebooting, but nothing seems to console this helpless fan. I think it may have something to do with it being a 3-pin fan(?), but I don't know much about that type of stuff. The old motherboard (FOXCONN 2AB1) worked just fine with the CPU fans. It would be at a fixed speed upon bootup, and it didn't automatically regulate the temps, but at least I could control it with 3rd-party software. So I'm out of ideas. Any more you guys can offer me?

Also, for some reason, I cannot hear any audio with the onboard sound chip. I haven't investigated much on this (mostly due to the loud fan clouding my thoughts). Both the stock Windows drivers and the Realtek-provided drivers don't seem to solve the problem. I've also tried on Ubuntu, but all seem to produce the same symptoms: audio is playing, the OS *knows* there's audio playing (volume meters work), but I cannot hear any audio through my headphones. I thought it could be a wiring problem, so I checked again. AFAIK, the motherboard is connected properly to the front panel. I hope you guys can enlighten me.

Sorry for the lack of info, I do know much about computers, but motherboards are definitely not a strong spot. I'll try to provide all the information needed. Thanks for the help.

rectec

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Thanks. Upon closer examination, I found that the connector was plugged in incorrectly. All is well as far as audio. I thought it might have been something minor, but I didn't really have the patience to figure it out on my own. So what about the CPU fan?

rectec

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Politely ask for a refund? But yeah, except for the audio header, I don't know if he did it right or not.

rectec

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Well, yeah. I guess that's what I meant to say. I will take it back tomorrow if I can't fix it myself. I don't want to take it back and have it be something obvious. I'll feel like an idiot. So any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

rectec

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Ok, I think I found the problem. The CPU fan has a 3 pin connector while the motherboard itself has a 4 pin connector. I read that the 4th pin is the PWM, but the old motherboard had a 3 pin and I could control the fan easily. Does this mean that I won't be able to control the CPU fan? Should I get a fan with a 4 pin connector?