New system with 2 x GTX580's LC...overkill?

Germ

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
So,I recently recieved an inheritance and find myself in the unusual position of needing a new system AND having more cash to spend than I've ever had.

I usually stay around 2 or 3 steps behind the latest gear but I've decided if I'm going to spend cash I'll likely never have available ever again,I may as well set a budget and get the components to fit that budget.The budget is going to be £3000 but may go to £3500.

I've decided to go WC'ed for the first time and whilst I'm very confident in building air cooled I just don't trust myself to WC my beautiful new rig so I found a company who will build and WC your machine with the components you specify for a fairly reasonable surcharge.

I chose components including an Asus Nvidea Geforce GTX580 (watercooled) and when I got to the checkout the total was £2900ish and I decided I could push the boat out and opt for another wc'ed GTX580 for an extra £310.

My question is.....will 2 x GTX580's in SLI be worth the expense,be future proof and noticably faster than a single?

Bear in mind I'm hoping to get more than 4 years use out of it as that's what my usual sys upgrade timeframe is.
I'm also upgrading from a single Asus ATI Radeon HD4870

ignoranceabound

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
For a single 1080p monitor you don't really need anything above the HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti. If you plan to use multiple monitors down the line get 2 HD 6950 2 GB or a GTX 590. A more powerful video card will just use more power and cost more money if you use it at lower resolutions.

The manufacturer cards that already have waterblocks on them are very overpriced and not much better than the air-cooled versions. In fact depending on your liquid cooling setup it could perform worse.

Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should spend it especially if it's a one time thing like your case; save the money and buy jewelry for hoes.

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
2 is super overkill as a GTX 580 will be enough for a LONG time.

If you're going to use a single monitor, I wouldn't suggest going over the 560, as it gives great results.