Sign in with
Your question

Help with First Build

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2011 6:41:48 AM

Hey. I'm new here to Tom's Hardware so if I get anything wrong with where to post this and such, any help and corrections would be greatly appreciated. Anyways, I'm looking to build my first pc, and after doing lots of research, here's what I've come up with so far.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next two weeks, but as soon as possible.

Budget Range: as close to $1000 as possible but up to ~$1100 can work. That is with sales tax and after mail-in rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, music notation software and drill writing software, office applications, general use such as internet surfing, watching movies, etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, monitor, mouse, and OS.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com only.

Country of Origin: USA.

Parts Preferences: Intel motherboard and processor. Radeon graphics card, but possibly willing to use nvidia if provided with convincing enough argument. See below for already picked out parts. 8 gb ram (2x4gb).

Overclocking: Maybe. I've never actually utilized overclocking before so I don't know if I'll need it for future games.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes eventually. I only want one card now, due to price, but by next summer, I will buy a second card.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Ok. So listed below are all the parts I currently have picked out and their total price with tax, shipping, and mail-in-rebates. The processor, HDD, and cooler are absolute so everything else is being built around them. I'm ultimately open to changes and suggestions for all other parts. I would prefer to keep the power supply I have picked out just to be sure of having plenty of power and for it's efficiency. However, I am open to a cheaper equivalency. The things I'm most unsure of are the motherboard and memory, so any and all help with them would be excellent. Also, I would be more than happy with other options for cases, but first and foremost with the case are cooling, price, and stability in that order. Finally, since the main use for this computer will be games, the games that I would be playing within the next year or so are Starcraft II, Civilization V, and Command and Conquer 4, but I want it to be able to handle games, mainly FPS's and RTS's, within the next 2-3+ years without any graphics cards upgrades past the second one mentioned earlier. Anyways, onto the parts.

Processor:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Optical Drive:
LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS70 - OEM

PSU:
Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Silver Certified, Active PFC Power Supply - OEM

Graphics Card:
XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Motherboard:
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Memory:
None and open to all suggestions as long as its 8gb.

Total Current Price: ~$1030, give or take a couple of dollars.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, and I'm terribly sorry about the long post.

More about : build

August 10, 2011 7:03:18 AM

I would lose the cooler. the intel cooler will be sufficient if your not going to do any heavy overclocking. Also you can get away with a power supply for half that price and less wattage. 500 watts should be fine. everything else looks good.

Good Luck,

Andrew

http://www.iwillfixyourcomp.com

m
l
August 10, 2011 1:50:34 PM

I guess iwillfixyourcomp missed the CF part of your post. The Seasonic PSU is solid, no issues with it other than it's not modular.
this PSU is same price and modular has $50 MIR
Hardocp gave it a good review
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/20/lepa_b_series...
LEPA B850-MA 850W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This Ram will fit under your Hyper 212

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 ) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B $61

When I have to use AMD GPU, I tend to favor Sapphire. this one is better rated and same price:
SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB

looks good other that these minor suggestions
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2011 2:01:22 PM

If your primary purpose is gaming and general utility, you can save $100 or so by using an i5-2500K.

If you are going to overclock, the Hiper 212+ is a great bargain in terms of performance.

For ATI video cards, I favor XFX - excellent build quality and warranty.

Because this is your first build, look at the following threads while you are waiting for your parts.
Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:59:44 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks for the help so far. I agree with jerreddredd that I normally go with Sapphire for AMD cards. In fact, that's all I've ever used, but since I haven't heard anything bad against XFX or that particular card and it's $10 cheaper, that's the one I picked. However, I will keep the Sapphire card in mind. Also, I know that the general suggestion is the i5-2500K, but I picked the i7 because I want something with plenty of power where I won't have to worry about bottlenecking on the cpu or anything like that after 3-4+ years. Again, thanks for all the suggestions so far, though, and any more would be great, especially about memory.
m
l
August 10, 2011 7:46:47 PM

dalmvern said:
As far as memory goes, since with your mobo you MUST overclock to get full use out of 1866MHz memory I would suggest going with 1600MHz, either:

Corsair Vengeance - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

G.Skill Ripjaws - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Basically same price and they are both good. Personally I went with the G.Skill on my build.

I like both of those suggestions, especially the G.Skill. The only problem is that the G.Skill RAM is out of stock, which is what happened with the Kingston HyperX RAM that I originally had picked out. I'll be considering and doing research on the corsair, though. However, I just stumbled across this RAM and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX

I know it's not low voltage, but that shouldn't be a problem if I have plenty of cooling, which the case I picked out seems to have, right? Also, all it's specs seem identical to the RAM I originally had picked out, which is listed below. Does anyone know anything about the RAM listed above? The price compared to the quality seems way too good to be true. Anyways, here's the RAM I originally had picked out for comparison.

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX
m
l
August 10, 2011 8:38:38 PM

I like both of those suggestions, especially the G.Skill. The only problem is that the G.Skill RAM is out of stock, which is what happened with the Kingston HyperX RAM that I originally had picked out. I'll be considering and doing research on the corsair, though. However, I just stumbled across this RAM and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

[urlExt=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104266 said:
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX

I know it's not low voltage, but that shouldn't be a problem if I have plenty of cooling, which the case I picked out seems to have, right? Also, all it's specs seem identical to the RAM I originally had picked out, which is listed below. Does anyone know anything about the RAM listed above? The price compared to the quality seems way too good to be true. Anyways, here's the RAM I originally had picked out for comparison.

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX]I like both of those suggestions, especially the G.Skill. The only problem is that the G.Skill RAM is out of stock, which is what happened with the Kingston HyperX RAM that I originally had picked out. I'll be considering and doing research on the corsair, though. However, I just stumbled across this RAM and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX
[/urlExt]

To answer your question, I have not heard anything about the Kingston memory, that one appears to have just come out. From the minimal research I did, the specs seem on par with the two I linked. The original ones you linked, however, I definitely see a problem with them. The TI series heatspreaders are so large that I dont think they would fit on your mobo with an air CPU cooling solution.

I did just check on Newegg and both the G.Skill and the Corsair memory I linked appear to be in stock when I look at it. I am not sure if it is a regional thing (I dont think so) but try checking again and see if they appear in stock for you now.
m
l
August 10, 2011 9:03:13 PM

Ok. I checked again, and the G.Skills are in stock. I don't know why it said out of stock earlier today. Also, thanks for the advice about the TI series. That crosses that memory off the list. Anyways, as of now I'm heavily leaning towards the G.Skill just because I don't know enough about that other kingston memory. However, since you and I both agree that it's similar to the other RAM in specs then I'll do more research on it. If it is as good as it says on newegg for that price, I'm probably going to go with it. Any other suggestions, though, would still be excellent for most to all of the parts. Thanks.
m
l
!