Sign in with
Your question
Solved

All Fans Not Working, but System Boots Up Fine

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2011 9:58:02 AM

Ok, I've tried to Google search as much as I could, and I couldn't find the exact answer/explanation to my issue.
Just tonight, I discovered that when I turned on my PC that was built 3 months ago, it would go through the usual motions and boot up into Windows, but the problem I noticed that that all the case fans (yes, ALL of them) did not come on at all! Normally, there's white LED's that are lit, but I didn't see them on.

Like I said before, I am able to boot up into Windows and apparently use my PC (because I'm typing this up now while on this PC). None of my fans are spinning at all....
In fact, the ONLY fan I could visually see and hear that's on is the one on my video card! :??: 

I'm just wondering what I should check because I already tried power-cycle the PC multiple times and the fans still won't come on.

I have CPUID HW Monitor running and I could see the temps to be steady as I continue to leave it on. CPU temp is showing a steady 58 degrees celsius (138 fahrenheit)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Here are my system specs:

- Intel Core i7-2600K
- ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Rev 3)
- eVGA 1.5GB GTX 580 Superclocked
- Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
- 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM
- 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Max IOPS Edition)
- 1 TB WD Caviar Black (64 MB cache)
- Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray Drive
- Corsair Graphite 600T White Case
- Corsair CMPSU-850HX Power Supply
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 11:08:58 AM

Been in the bios recently? Are these fans powered by the board or hooked directly to the PSU? I'm assuming they are plugged into the board. If so, go into the bios and restore the default settings. You probably changed a value for the fans you didn't mean to.
m
l
August 11, 2011 12:31:38 PM

OK, I figured it out. The problem was with the fan controller for my Corsair case. After I unplugged my fans from that controller and plugged them directly into my motherboard, they all work fine now!

I will RMA that faulty fan controller back to Corsair now...
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2011 1:27:15 PM

Are you sure its faulty? Maybe you didn't set it up correctly.
m
l
August 11, 2011 1:37:26 PM

4745454b said:
Are you sure its faulty? Maybe you didn't set it up correctly.

I'm pretty sure the fan controller failed because it was working just fine for 2.5 months.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2011 3:30:34 PM

Gotcha. I thought from your previous post you hooked everything up to a new FC and thought it was dead. Sucks that it died so fast.
August 18, 2011 12:59:58 AM

Best answer selected by b0r3dguy.
m
l
!