Video Card?? - CLueless

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 11:42:56 AM

What is a good site to search for laptop video cards?

What are the differences between desktop/laptop video cards?

How easy is it to install/change laptop video cards?

Sorry for the cluelessness and thanks for all the feedback

More about : video card clueless

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 12:48:41 PM

>there is no aftermarket in laptop video cards

Really! Weird. I find that hard to believe. Seems like they should
design laptops with this capability. Now I'm interested...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 1:29:33 PM

Ernesto wrote:
> What is a good site to search for laptop video cards?
>
> What are the differences between desktop/laptop video cards?
>
> How easy is it to install/change laptop video cards?
>

> Sorry for the cluelessness and thanks for all the feedback

No, laptop video cards are not upgradeable; there is no aftermarket in
laptop video cards. The closest you can come to this is Sager/Alienware
who, early this year, purported to have an upgradeable video card on one
of their gaming laptops for which upgrades would be available Real Soon
Now.

a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 4:21:14 PM

Aren't ZIF sockets for desktops? Then I guess they should design a new
kind of socket that's small, lightweight, and compact (of course this
is going to be expensive!). I'm new to the laptop world (in case you
haven't noticed ; ) ) It will happen eventually. I'm just
surprised it hasn't yet.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 5:45:27 PM

Thanks for your feedback and insight. I agree that the trend is
towards smaller, lighter, and thinner for many users. But just
discussing this topic on different forums today leads me to believe
that there is a huge market for changeable video cards in the laptop
market. There are tons of people who want this, (namely in the gaming
market). Don't see it becoming prevalent either, but it will
eventually happen. As laptops get smaller, don't the sizes of video
cards, semi-conductor technology, every other relevant technology?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 9:10:20 PM

On 5 Aug 2005 12:21:14 -0700, "Ernesto" <erniedude@gmail.com> wrote:

>Aren't ZIF sockets for desktops? Then I guess they should design a new
>kind of socket that's small, lightweight, and compact (of course this
>is going to be expensive!). I'm new to the laptop world (in case you
>haven't noticed ; ) ) It will happen eventually.

Now why would you say that? The trend is to incorporate more and more
features directly into the mainboard, not to more flexibility in
laptops.

> I'm just
>surprised it hasn't yet.

I'm not.
Charlie Hoffpauir
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2005 10:19:12 PM

Ernesto wrote:
>> there is no aftermarket in laptop video cards
>
> Really! Weird. I find that hard to believe.

Why?

> Seems like they should design laptops with this capability.

Not if you want to design a "thin" laptop. Most laptop video cards are
soldered directly to the MB (as are most laptop's CPU). In order to provide
a means to change the card, you'd need to install it in something like a ZIF
socket, which would quadruple the space necessary to provide vertical
clearance for the card.

--
James
Anonymous

Ernesto wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback and insight. I agree that the trend is
> towards smaller, lighter, and thinner for many users. But just
> discussing this topic on different forums today leads me to believe
> that there is a huge market for changeable video cards in the laptop
> market. There are tons of people who want this, (namely in the gaming
> market). Don't see it becoming prevalent either, but it will
> eventually happen. As laptops get smaller, don't the sizes of video
> cards, semi-conductor technology, every other relevant technology?

Laptops get smaller because everything else gets smaller.

I doubt you are going to see upgradeable video on laptops--you can buy
laptops with very powerful processors and video, for a high price and at
the cost of battery life--they will continue to be available. There is no
standard for video processors--to be upgradeable there would have to be a
separate video board, not just a chip, and the board would have to be
standardized in size, shape, mounting holes, socket, power connections, and
position of the chip so that the chip could be aligned with whatever
cooling device was installed in the laptop. This would require the
creation of a standard by the laptop manufacturers and the video board
manufacturers, and I see no evidence that either group has the slightest
interest in creating such a standard.

Alternative, ATI and nvidia would have to get together and decide on a
pinout and form factor for laptop video chips, and quite frankly, it is
more likely that the sun will rise in the west.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Ernesto wrote:
> Aren't ZIF sockets for desktops? Then I guess they should design a
> new kind of socket that's small, lightweight, and compact (of course
> this is going to be expensive!). I'm new to the laptop world (in
> case you haven't noticed ; ) ) It will happen eventually. I'm
> just surprised it hasn't yet.

ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets come in many different sizes and
configurations and are not solely for use in desktops. The term ZIF simply
refers to a type of socket that can be unlocked or opened to enable easy
installation or removal of a device or cable.

Some laptop manufacturers already use a micro-ZIF socket for the CPU on
their systems and almost all laptops have them for connecting display
cables, keyboards, etc.

The trend in laptops today is towards smaller, lighter, thinner and I
sincerely doubt we'll see changeable video cards becoming prevalent any time
in the near future.

Regards,

James
!