Sign in with
Your question

I want a good RAID card for the desktop

Last response: in Components
November 8, 2011 5:22:22 PM

So the new X79 boards are going to be out soon and I want to build a kick butt gaming rig/ work-station. I have all the other parts picked out but I want a good RAID card with at least 10 or 12 ports on PCI-E x8 and can do RAID 0/1/5/10 and if possible 50. Linux compatibility (it will be a dual boot machine). with built in RAM if possible on the card. I was looking at the Intel RS2WG160 and like it, but I don't know if it will work on my motherboard. If so please let me know if it will work, if not could someone point me to a good RAID card.
I plan to have 2 120GB SSD's (320 series) on RAID 0 or 1 still can't decide which one to do. As the primary HD
and 4-8 mechanical Hard drives with at least 1TB each. Probably going to have them on RAID 10.

More about : good raid card desktop

November 8, 2011 7:36:17 PM

What's your budget? Are you going to raid those ssd's and use them as scratch disks?

Raid cards Areca Arc or a Lsi.
But the cost a few pennies but you get what you pay for. Those Areca Arc's are awesome.
Related resources
November 8, 2011 7:42:43 PM

RAID controllers normally are certified for server motherboards. Did you also consider the LSI MegaRAID 9280-16i4e controller (and controllers from other manufacturers)? Since LSI most likely manufacture the Intel controller, you should contact them and ask if your motherboard (you didn't provide the make and model) will be compatible.
November 8, 2011 7:44:54 PM

gnomio said:
What's your budget? Are you going to raid those ssd's and use them as scratch disks?

I don't know what you mean by scratch disks But yes I want to RAID them. Thinking RAID 0 seeing as SSD's are supposed to be really reliable and use it as my master disks, and the mechanicals as the slave with movies, and other media files, and other work files that are constantly being written over and over again. Only thing on the SSD's would be the Windows and Linux OS, and some games and programs. Budget not really an issue as this is for work as well. $500 would be nice but I can go upwards $900 the one I was planning on from Intel is like $800. I would like a BBU option but must work on a non-workstation board, Intel DX58SO for example.
November 8, 2011 7:48:28 PM

GhislainG said:
RAID controllers normally are certified for server motherboards. Did you also consider the LSI MegaRAID 9280-16i4e controller (and controllers from other manufacturers)? Since LSI most likely manufacture the Intel controller, you should contact them and ask if your motherboard (you didn't provide the make and model) will be compatible.

Basically an Intel consumer line board such as the DX58SO, I am waiting for Ivy bridge to be released then will build a whole desktop.
November 8, 2011 7:52:34 PM

jewfromdahood said:
Basically an Intel consumer line board such as the DX58SO, I am waiting for Ivy bridge to be released then will build a whole desktop.

what are you going to use it for?
November 8, 2011 7:55:37 PM

jewfromdahood said:
I don't know what you mean by scratch disks But yes I want to RAID them. Thinking RAID 0 seeing as SSD's are supposed to be really reliable and use it as my master disks, and the mechanicals as the slave with movies, and other media files, and other work files that are constantly being written over and over again. Only thing on the SSD's would be the Windows and Linux OS, and some games and programs. Budget not really an issue as this is for work as well. $500 would be nice but I can go upwards $900 the one I was planning on from Intel is like $800. I would like a BBU option but must work on a non-workstation board, Intel DX58SO for example.

scratch disks are your sort of trash drives when doing things like video editing.
Go here to see the performance of the Areca Arcs and Lsi's as well as others
http://www.ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

There's the disks use plus the performance they gave
November 8, 2011 7:57:10 PM

gnomio said:
what are you going to use it for?

Gaming, media production, video and such, as well as testing out 3D programs for the orthodontists I work for. It's a High-end gaming/workstation computer with a bunch of different purposes.
November 8, 2011 8:01:56 PM

jewfromdahood said:
Gaming, media production, video and such, as well as testing out 3D programs for the orthodontists I work for. It's a High-end gaming/workstation computer with a bunch of different purposes.

go that above link then. It will tickle your fansy.
With video editing and such you need scratch disks. Spinners on a raid controller works out better but ssd as a os drive is ok. Just don't use them as scratch disks in video editing. They fill up quickly frag and then slow up in a huge way especially when they fill up levels around 70 percent and up
!