Need help with PSU connections

diktat

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hello everyone..

I'm currently in the process of building my first computer, and the hardest part so far has been the power cables.. I've managed to hook up almost everything, the only thing I can't figure out is HDD/SSD/optical drive connections.

I have sata power cables for all three, but one cable (connected to a HDD and a SSD) ends in a 6pin, and the other cable (blu ray drive) also ends in a 6pin.

How do I get power to them? Do I use a pcie cable? (it has 6+2pin on one end), and connect the other end on "peripheral and sata" part of my PSU?

psu - corsair ax1200

Thanks everyone!

The CD drive and the HDD's all use a SATA power connector.It's flat and is "L" shaped.Unless your drive's are really old in which they will use a 4 pin(molex).

Your PSU is modular that's why it's confusing,you only plug in what your going to use.Their should be a map somewhere explaining how to use it.If the cable has those "L" shaped SATA connectors on the end of it then you plug the 6 pin into the PSU.

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
peripheral and sata area, the sata connector itself is very flat with no pins, and has a slight l shape at one end to stop it being installed upside down, the six pin bit goes into the psu in the area i said before