Sign in with
Your question

Whats going to be my bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 4:27:10 PM

Please before you answer, I Don't NEED to know that some of my parts are out of date. I Am on a budget and I Am Getting the best parts I Can for my money $400.

Here is what I Have to far:

Biostar TP45 HP Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (Going to be overclocked to 2.67ghz and when I Get a better CPU Cooler 3.0-3.2ghz.)

EVGA Geforce GTS 250 1gb GDDR3 with GALAXY GT 240 1GB DDR3 in Physx (P.S. EVGA Has the Best GTS 250 as the Core and Mem Clocks are HIGHER Standard)

4gb G.Skill DDR2-1200

OCZ 700w PSU 80Plus OR Corsair 750w PSU 80Plus

Cooler Master X Dream 4 CPU Cooler

Arctic Cooling Thermal Paste

Rocketfish LED Exhaust Fan

And I Haven't Decided on a Case Yet.

But Basically this is what I Have Ordered For $400. I Think I Did a good job on the parts for the price. But who knows.

More about : whats bottleneck

a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 4:31:50 PM

If you paid $400 for that, you got totally ripped off.

I don't see any bottleneck, the gpu is a good match for the cpu.
m
l
August 10, 2011 4:33:10 PM

I'm a little confused, are you SLI'ing the 250 with the 240?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 4:41:43 PM

geekapproved said:
If you paid $400 for that, you got totally ripped off.

I don't see any bottleneck, the gpu is a good match for the cpu.

Wasnt Quite $400 More like $330 but my budget is $400.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 4:43:44 PM

gallen89 said:
I'm a little confused, are you SLI'ing the 250 with the 240?

No. I Am using the GT 240 as A Physx card for Mafia 2 and other Games that Support Phsyx. Its SLI Without the Connector. You Just go in the Nvidia Control panel and select what card to use for Phsyx. I Looked at benchmarks and a GT 220 In Physx gets an Extra 20FPS outta a GTS 250, since I Am using the GT 240 I Should get around 20-40FPS Boost in Phsyx Games. :D 
m
l
August 10, 2011 5:26:42 PM

Original Ageia PPU have a 128bit bus, make sure that GT 240 you have is also running on 128bit. Got myself a GT 240 for PhysX too. Playing Alice on high physX was smooth, without that card the FPS dip down to slide show territory.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 6:16:41 PM

$330 was still too much. Why you pay so much?

For $330 I could have picked up a modern cpu, mobo and ddr3, power supply and a decent video card.

Hell you could have gotten a whole pc for $500.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970....

These prices were June, they are a bit lower now.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 6:24:48 PM

geekapproved said:
$330 was still too much. Why you pay so much?

For $330 I could have picked up a modern cpu, mobo and ddr3, power supply and a decent video card.

Hell you could have gotten a whole pc for $500.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970....

These prices were June, they are a bit lower now.

Gotta Understand, on that link, the graphics card isn't near as good as what I Got, the PSU sucks, the ram isn't even performance ram, it has a stock CPU Cooler, and the motherboard isn't comparable to mine, I have dual channel memory and SLI Support. It just doesn't compare well. For what I Got for the price I Think I Did good. That PC Is weak compared to this, excluding the CPU, but I Am overclocking mine so it isn't like a 90% faster thing more like 30% faster.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 6:27:04 PM

lp231 said:
Original Ageia PPU have a 128bit bus, make sure that GT 240 you have is also running on 128bit. Got myself a GT 240 for PhysX too. Playing Alice on high physX was smooth, without that card the FPS dip down to slide show territory.

Yup, Its the Galaxy Version so it looks nice and has awesome cooling. I Got it for $15 so For Physx it should work great :D 

m
l
August 10, 2011 6:40:57 PM

Quote:
Gotta Understand, on that link, the graphics card isn't near as good as what I Got, the PSU sucks, the ram isn't even performance ram, it has a stock CPU Cooler, and the motherboard isn't comparable to mine, I have dual channel memory and SLI Support. It just doesn't compare well. For what I Got for the price I Think I Did good. That PC Is weak compared to this, excluding the CPU, but I Am overclocking mine so it isn't like a 90% faster thing more like 30% faster.

....... the graphics in the toms $500 build would rape your GTS 250

do yourself a favor and try to get your money back. the C2D cpu family doesn't need " performance ram "they were pure overclockers.

p.s BioStar makes nothing but 3rd rate crap. enjoy your exploding caps.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 7:04:04 PM

macer1 said:
....... the graphics in the toms $500 build would rape your GTS 250

do yourself a favor and try to get your money back. the C2D cpu family doesn't need " performance ram "they were pure overclockers.

p.s BioStar makes nothing but 3rd rate crap. enjoy your exploding caps.

The Biostar motherboard has great reviews and the capacitors are pretty solid.

As for the Graphics card I Hate ATI/AMD. I Have had No luck Once so ever with them, their drivers suck, their cards are cheap, and to me Nvidia is overall better.

I Am Overclocking the GTS 250 and I Really Dont need Top of the line GPU's. I Am only Playing The COD Series, Crysis 2, GTA IV, Mafia 2, and Flight Simulator X. None of which require Top of the Line GPU's anymore. If it was Crysis 1, and the games weren't on the latest patch it would be a different story. So Why dont you go have fun with your CRAP-TI Cards. I Got the GPU for $40, and I Dont regret it one bit :D 
m
l
August 10, 2011 7:15:01 PM

You haven't mentioned anything about GTA IV. That games needs a quad core to run properly.
According to interweb, a OC dual core cannot play that game compared to a stock clock quad.
Crysis 2, maybe DX 9 or 10 is okay, DX 11 with high-res patch forgetaboutit.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 7:21:30 PM

lp231 said:
You haven't mentioned anything about GTA IV. That games needs a quad core to run properly.
According to interweb, a OC dual core cannot play that game compared to a stock clock quad.
Crysis 2, maybe DX 9 or 10 is okay, DX 11 with high-res patch forgetaboutit.

Dont plan to use DX 11. As for GTA IV, I Ran GTA IV Fine on my GT 430 and Athlon X2. Was getting 20-40 FPS on medium settings, with this it should run fine as far as I know.

The lastest patch for GTA IV Fixes the performance problems so it isnt as big of a deal as it was when it came out.
m
l
August 10, 2011 8:06:20 PM

last i checked ati and nvidia both had great drivers. i use them both currently in different systems.

as for build quality, last MAJOR build quality issue sent Nvidia's stock into the crapper with a payout of over 100 million to company's that purchased there products. but everyone remembers the 8400 & 8600 gpu's

http://apcmag.com/nvidia_disaster_thousands_of_gpus_fau...

m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 8:19:19 PM

macer1 said:
last i checked ati and nvidia both had great drivers. i use them both currently in different systems.

as for build quality, last MAJOR build quality issue sent Nvidia's stock into the crapper with a payout of over 100 million to company's that purchased there products. but everyone remembers the 8400 & 8600 gpu's

http://apcmag.com/nvidia_disaster_thousands_of_gpus_fau...

Lol those are mobile cards.
m
l
August 10, 2011 8:21:56 PM

not the same build process at all ............
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 8:49:15 PM

Quote:

WOW

That graphics card would absolutely destroy yours.

The PSU is much higher quality than your cheap OCZ

The i3 cpu would outperform 2 of your C2D's (YEP, check the charts)

And the memory is DDR3, you have DDR2

Every part of the $500 pc is superior. So...you got ripped, just admit it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2011 9:00:21 PM

geekapproved said:
WOW

That graphics card would absolutely destroy yours.

The PSU is much higher quality than your cheap OCZ

The i3 cpu would outperform 2 of your C2D's (YEP, check the charts)

And the memory is DDR3, you have DDR2

Every part of the $500 pc is superior. So...you got ripped, just admit it.

Rather not admit it. For $300 I Got a damn good PC. That is $200 more. Sure if i wouldve had that much your right. But naw I Got the best I Could for the money
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2011 2:20:28 PM

You did NOT get the best you could for the money. That was our entire point which you missed obviously.

First you said you paid $400. Then you changed it to $330. Now it's $300. Is it going to be $250 tomorrow?
m
l
August 11, 2011 6:11:17 PM

You could get a atigeforce 460 and is a lower price than a 250 and peforms BETTER. The ati 5770 is one of the BEST budget low price video cards you can get for about 115$-140$. GeekApproved don't be starting this nonsence he did get a damn good pc for 300$ I wanna see you build something better in that price range.
m
l
!