Can someone take a look at this build before I commit

Making my first computer. Need some advice on this build iv'e made. Just want to make sure all these parts will play nice with each other before I commit to it. The final price after rebates, promos and combos is $512. Looking to do some moderate gaming with computer that won't piss itself when it sees newer games.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16743252 (list of parts)

Thanks in advance.
15 answers Last reply
More about build commit
  1. Hello Achromatic;

    No major tactical errors.
    Look at the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W PSU and see if the after rebate price and free shipping help lower costs and get you a better PSU.

    Had you thought about going with an AM3+ motherboard?
  2. ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $105

    I can't see what the changes do to your overall price with combos, etc, but I think this could work out well for you in the long run.
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.693862
    ^a quad core is well worth the extra $22. if you cant afford it, cut back to 4gb of ram.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.696142

    agreed on the mobo and psu suggestions.
  4. WR2 said:
    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS $105

    I can't see what the changes do to your overall price with combos, etc, but I think this could work out well for you in the long run.



    I chose the asus because it easily unlocks the 555's 2 extra cores. What does AM3+ provide? I'll take a look at that psu. thanks
  5. genghiskron said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.693862
    ^a quad core is well worth the extra $22. if you cant afford it, cut back to 4gb of ram.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.696142

    agreed on the mobo and psu suggestions.



    the 555 has 2 untouched cores to exploit. Thats why i chose the asus mobo
  6. And ya i agree that 8 gigs is overkill but it was $34 and $19.99 after combo with the mobo. Couldn't help myself.
  7. Achromatic said:
    What does AM3+ provide?
    Everything the ASUS M4A87TD EVO does and a lot, lot more besides. Including CrossfireX or SLI at dual x8.
    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 home page check the Turbo UCC feature.
  8. Achromatic said:
    the 555 has 2 untouched cores to exploit.
    Just as long as you're aware you might not be able to touch those cores either. Some people get 2, some get 1 and quite a few get none.
    And it can put a limit an overclocking ability of the CPU itself.
  9. True. I saw a few disappointed posters on the product page. Would you suggest and alt cpu?
  10. If you're goal is to also do some overclocking for $15 more:
    Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz $120
  11. Now that combo deal linked by genghiskron is looking even better.
  12. WR2 said:
    Now that combo deal linked by genghiskron is looking even better.



    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
    or
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
  13. Either one is an excellent choice. See if any of the combo deals on offer look interesting to you.
  14. if you are going to buy the 6870, the 965 is the obvious choice. they are basically the same processor with different clockspeeds, and unless you have any other combo deals available, the 965 is both cheaper and faster.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Computer Systems Product