Upgrading Dental Office

tacloban

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
specific question, the main purpose of the rig, the components that u want install and the budget that u have for the build.

Hey All,

I have a question about upgrading some computers in a dental office. The main purpose of these computers are to run Dentrix, take digital xrays, intraoral pictures, manage business, and help with patient care. Currently I have I think 6 computers running on Pentium 4 processors with win xp. These computers are just not making the cut anymore and I want to upgrade them at as low of cost as possible.

I would like to make two options and then decide based on the cost. I would like to make a budget machine that will be a good upgrade and handle all of what I need, and then I would like to make a better configuration that I wouldnt have to upgrade near in the future.

I have cases and power supplies (but they will probably have to be replaced as well). I'm not sure if I should gut the old computers and upgrade them or just sell them how they are. I wouldnt be able to upgrade the mobo/processor/cpu and put the old HDD in the new computer without problems would I?

Anyways, I was hoping to see what kind of processor would be most efficient for my purposes. I was looking at core i3 or the AMD phenom II x4 black edition (which is about 30$ more). The motherboard can be cheap and basic. the PSU just needs to be super basic. I would be fine with onboard graphics unless there is a cheap alternative.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks.