Closed Solved

Nothing works

Can a cpu, or memory cause a motherboard to short out?
I "thought" I had a bad motherboard, it was old and in general just causing problems but at least it would boot up.
I bought a new one and it won't even start. No cpu fan no cooling fans, nothing! not even the cd will light up. I check the power supply and it's fine, but just in case, I had an extra one,and still nothing. I returned the board and am still have the same problem. I'm using the existing RAM, CPU, hard drives, and replacing the board that's compatible with all of that. I'm at a loss! BTW I also checked to make sure the power supply was set for 115V, and it is. I now have another board on the way, and I'm hoping this one will power up.

below is what I installed.

ASRock A770DE+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard. (new)
Radeon 1GB DDR3 video card
AM2+ processor (original)
4x8 DDR2 (original)
450W Antec power supply (original)
2-WD 500 GB SATA drives (original)
1- CD+DVD SATA (original)

I know it can't be the Case! (original) LOL

Can ya help?
Thanks!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about nothing works
  1. OK. I'll ask the really dumb question. You did remember to plug in the 4/8pin CPU cable, right? Sorry.
    And you said you checked the PSU. How? All the circuits on the 24 pin cable? Maybe your old board's problem was a failing PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=psu%20tester&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
    Just tossing out ideas...
  2. How old is the Antec 450w and about how many hours a day was the computer in use on average during that time?

    Also, what other PSU did you use when you tested to see if it was a PSU problem? Maker, Model, approximate age, and usage statistics for this as well.

    While you are working on those things, I would also suggest you disconnect everything and take the motherboard and PSU out of the case and put it on a wood table and leaving only the PSU, motherboard, CPU, and RAM connected, try to turn the PC on and see what happens. You can accomplish this by shorting the wires that are for the power button.

    Try that with both PSUs that you have, too.

    In general, as PCs get older the PSUs are almost always the first things to fail. High quality PSUs perform better for longer, but even then they are still the first things to go most often.
  3. Theres a run-through guide over in homebuild, I'd link it but my phone hates tabbed browsing :-)
    Moto
  4. I had this problem:
    My PSU dies suddenly no warning so I test with another PSU only connected to the motherboard and it works fine. I buy a new PSU (spare cannot handle my GPU) install it and nothing works. After testing all sorts of things I find one of the molex connectors connected to a case fan has a short which had killed the old PSU but just stops the new one starting.
    So I suggest you try just the motherboard connected then if it works connect other items 1 at a time until you find the problem.
  5. Simon12 makes a good point. A grounded wire or some grounded portion of the board's circuitry will cause the system to not start. If this happened with both boards, though, it would seem unlikely. More likely some of the case wiring.
    However, I did once put one too many standoffs in the back plate (I as in a hurry... that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it). The extra standoff was pressing against a solder strace and shorting the board, and it would fail to start. Fortunately, removing the standoff cured it and the board was saved.
  6. clutchc said:
    OK. I'll ask the really dumb question. You did remember to plug in the 4/8pin CPU cable, right? Sorry.
    And you said you checked the PSU. How? All the circuits on the 24 pin cable? Maybe your old board's problem was a failing PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=psu%20tester&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
    Just tossing out ideas...



    Thanks a lot for helping to try and solve my nightmare, but yep, all connections are in and snug. also a brand new PSU does the same thing with a the new board.

    Leo
  7. clutchc said:
    Simon12 makes a good point. A grounded wire or some grounded portion of the board's circuitry will cause the system to not start. If this happened with both boards, though, it would seem unlikely. More likely some of the case wiring.
    However, I did once put one too many standoffs in the back plate (I as in a hurry... that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it). The extra standoff was pressing against a solder strace and shorting the board, and it would fail to start. Fortunately, removing the standoff cured it and the board was saved.



    Thanks, you may be right! As soon as I get home from work I'll give it a shot!
  8. Raiddinn said:
    How old is the Antec 450w and about how many hours a day was the computer in use on average during that time?

    Also, what other PSU did you use when you tested to see if it was a PSU problem? Maker, Model, approximate age, and usage statistics for this as well.

    While you are working on those things, I would also suggest you disconnect everything and take the motherboard and PSU out of the case and put it on a wood table and leaving only the PSU, motherboard, CPU, and RAM connected, try to turn the PC on and see what happens. You can accomplish this by shorting the wires that are for the power button.

    Try that with both PSUs that you have, too.

    In general, as PCs get older the PSUs are almost always the first things to fail. High quality PSUs perform better for longer, but even then they are still the first things to go most often.


    Hi There,
    The Antec in now a "brand new Antec 450w" I bought another one and yes I tested the old PSU and it was good also. I'm gonna try Simon12 and Clutchc's idea when I get home from work today and check to see if I have standoffs touching a wrong part of the board.

    Thanks for pitching in with ideas also.
  9. Best answer
    I had same problem with one box where one of the standoff's screwed into the base (I'd used old case with new MB) wasn't matching hole on MB and was causing a short.
  10. Best answer selected by lwoods.
  11. That was it! I took the board out of the case and connected everything on my table and it fired right up! I saw the one standoff I missed in the case causing the whole problem. Thanks czeshirecat!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Motherboards Components Product