Graphics Card Help

jws42292

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello. Just a few days ago my graphics card died on me. The startup screen has gray dots and my display can no longer be maxed out. I did all the troubleshooting and web surfing to find how to fix it. I decided to buy a new one. My old card was an Nvidia 8800 gt and I bought an XFX ATI Radeon hd 5750 to replace it with. However, when I start up my pc, it freezes on the "starting windows" screen and I cannot run the computer in safe mode. Perhaps my video card is incompatible with my motherboard or other components but I am unsure. If my video card is incompatible, then what should I look into buying? Also, are you supposed to install the drivers on the CD before the card in inserted into the motherboard? Thanks for the help.

PC: Dell XPS 630i
Windows 7 Operating system
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
4gb 667 mhz ddr2 memory
750 watt power supply
two x16 PCI express slots
Used to have Nvidia 8800 GT graphics card but replaced with an XFX ATI Radeon 5750

jws42292

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I can try that but my OS has been working fine the past year since I have upgraded. I can log in when I use the old graphics card, but that graphics card is not recognized by the computer. I forgot to mention that while the new graphics card freezes at the starting windows screen, I can hear the sound for the login screen, and I can blindly type in my password and hear the login tone.