Recycling Dual Quad-Core Server?

aldenf

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hi guys.

I've been building comps and workstations for almost 20 years, but have never had the opportunity to work with enterprise-class hardware. I'm hoping to get some much needed advice.

My nephew is a college student studying film & tv production. He's gotten really excited about editing. But his laptop is severely underpowered for the job. He also likes to game but isn't anywhere near hard-core.

My roommate pulled and is tossing 15 rack-mount servers, 13 1u & 2 2U. The most interesting seems to be a 2U Silicon Mechanics Rackform NServe A266 (sata vers). It currently has dual quad-core Opteron Socket F procs. and 8 GB ECC DDR2-667 per proc.

We've pieced out all the servers. I have an additional 60+ GB of compatible RAM and 15 WD1500ADFD (3rd Gen Raptors), 1 Super Talent 256 GB SSD, plus misc parts, like raid controllers, etc.

Does it make ANY sense to try to re-purpose this hardware into a workstation?

Would definitely need:

$100 E-ATX (12x13) compatible mid-tower.
$100 Power supply
$100 2 Socket F coolers.
$150-200 GPU.

My biggest concern is having only two (2) PCI-E x8 (Phys & Elec) slots.

Having to replace the motherboard would probably be cost prohibitive.

Wouldn't a slightly overclocked 2500k or 2600k system be faster, cheaper and more versatile in the long run?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Alden

aldenf

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Thanks, Outlander. This is also my thinking... Making it a home server sounds like a good re-purpose. It is WAY too loud in it's current configuration, however. And I'm not sure it's cost-effective to reconfigure. I just HATE to throw perfectly working hardware away! =p

Im a bit envious . You have the hardware so you might as well experiment !

cut a huge hole in the top of the case and mount a big cooling fan .

under clock and under volt the cpu's too . With 8 threads per board it wont matter that you are not running them hard

Might not look pretty but then you can hide it in the garage , attic or basement .... and the noise wont be a problem

aldenf

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I'm playing with a BSD install as we speak. It is LOUD! Unfortunately, we're in an apartment in Manhattan and there's really no place to hide this beast. I'll play with it for a few days then probably give it away... I already have a sff server running here. So, it's not like I'm desperate for another one... Thanks again!