Nvidia GeForce 220 GT overheating issues

Liemmaster

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello all, I've been having some black screens due to overheating. I'm hoping you guys can offer me some solutions to this. Specs and details follow:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-127c-b

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 2.67Ghz

Ram: 8 GB

I'm not certain on the state of my mobo bios, but I do have the latest graphics drivers from Nvidia (version 275.33) installed.

Initial problems with the machine were black outs/screen resets but installing the latest drivers for the video card has fixed that. The main problem right now is my GPU is hitting it's thermal threshold of 105 C/close to it. I'm using Techpower's GPU-Z to monitor the GPU temp as well as fan speed, and it's hitting 100% right before the inevitable shutdown so I don't think it's a hardware malfunction. I've thoroughly blasted dust out of the heatsinks of both the GPU and CPU as well as the fan on the GPU and both case fans. I have not done any tinkering with the rig at all. Right now as I'm writing this post, it's idling around 85-88 C. I haven't monitored the case fans but they are working. Is there a utility to monitor those as well?

I was thinking about adding another fan to blow air onto the GPU but I'm not particularly confident in my technical skills to modify the HP case in any shape or form. If there's any other pertinent information that I left out, please just let me know.

2 things come to mind:

How's the airflow inside the case? You could check that first, since maybe the hot air has troubles finding it's way out.

And the other is that the GPU fan is deficient or not working properly; in that scenario I suggest buying a custom one and ask a friend or the HP customer service to help you.

Cheers!

Liemmaster

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I don't think it's a problem with the airflow as I just took off the side of the case and the GPU temperature went to 108C quite rapidly before I turned off the computer.

I suppose it could be the GPU fan, except that I see and hear it spinning?

Could be the paste of the HSF that binds the GPU and metal piece.

Forgot that possibility, so you could get thermal paste and, well, ask a friend or HP's tech/customer service.

Since the fan is actually working fine, the las thing that comes to mind is that the temp monitor is screwed :p

Cheers!