Problems of a poor and hardcore gamer

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello people's
I need your opinion. gonna buy a computer, I love rpg games, don't have much money, so this is the configuration:

intel pentium e5700 (2x3GHZ)
nVidia 220 gt(1Gb ram)
4GB ram ddr3 kingston

Is there a better solution, for the similar price?
My priority is Elder Scrolls 5 - Skyrim. :) Will i be able to play it with this, considering it will be out in november?

Should be able to do better the e5700 and the 220gt are pretty low end parts at this point and will probably have trouble with SKYRIM if it is anything like OB (though hopefully the new engine will be more optimized) -- as Yuka asked what is your overall budget ? - where do you live and what currency ? can you assemble it or know someone that can help or need it pre built ? Do you have any reuseable parts already ? (ie. Windows OS - Keyboard - Monitor - Mouse - Case - DVD drive - HDD - Speakers - etc. -- as those can bring the cost of the build down or up) what size monitor will you be using (resolution)

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Look at a triple core or quad core Athlon II, it will give you more cores for less money, which is what's needed in modern gaming.

The GT 220 will not play Skyrim at all. You'll be needing at least a GTX 460 / 5770 for Skyrim; and that's not even high settings.

The 4GB RAM is good, make sure it's a good make (like you have done).

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

thanks for helping guys :)

My top budget is 500 euros.

I live in Montenegro, euro currency.

I already have mouse, keyboards, speakers and monitor.

My target resolution is 1024x768, but even 800x600 will do, I'm used to it.

I would also like an SLI technology motherboard, for later graphic upgrades. Is it within my reach?

Do you plan to upgrade your monitor anytime soon? If not, you shouldn't need to worry about crossfire or sli at all. Save yourself money on the motherboard and put it towards better parts.

Check out this build. This was $500, which is less than your budget, but costs may not be as good where you live, so it should be a good setup for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html

Edit: Forgot link

Well, for that target resolution, a 6670 will be plenty and will be able to push it even at 1440x900 or 1280x1024 IMO.

As for the rest of the computer; I like the AthlonII X4 way: AthlonII X4 640 + 4GB DDR3 1600 + 990FX (or X) MoBo (to get a next gen processor down the road) or a 790FX (AM3) MoBo (u can find very cheap ones lately).

That should give you good FPS's for a very long time and if you need to upgrade, you can do it without changing the whole computer. If u're CPU bound, you can get a Phenom II X4/6 (or a Bulldozer based Zambezi CPU on a 990FX) on a later occasion.

If think it should be quite cheap, since you don't need a beefy PSU with that; an Antec 380 should be plenty for that kind of system.

EDIT: The links are for reference only, btw :p

Think you forgot the link, bro XD!

Cheers!

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
yes, I get it. So, no need for new monitor, no need for SLI. I think am gonna save on motherboard and go for a phenom and stronger graphic card. It makes sense now.

Thanks a lot you guys. :)

Stupiditystrikes

Distinguished
May 15, 2011

You could also take a risk in getting a Dual Core, and a mobo with a core unlocker, since nowadays the demand for dual cores are quite high, they've been sealing up perfectly good quad cores. It costs less, but you can attempt to risk it.

I'm running a AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE with Core Unlocker. I've heard stories of it working, but I got a real dual core :'C

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
It was a very limited offer of graphics cards in my town. I couldn't find much. Anyway, i bought 6670, but now, when I check the device manager, it says -
AMD Radeon HD 6600 series. Is that the same card?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If you are willing to take a chance on a rebate, check out this GTS 450. 115-rebates=75 dollar card that competes in the same league as a 5750-5770. I've got one of these cards, my 2nd galaxy card, and overall I'm happy with it. Only thing I would do, use evga's precision software to increase fan speed to 50% and leave it there. That's what I did on my card, and it stays much cooler, very happy with my card, now just need a cpu upgrade to finish off my aging 5 year old rig, thankfully I can still put a quad into my old box though.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

But Todd (lead dev) has already stated that they will optimize and improve it for PC users, indicating that it'll run higher settings, having been asked by the PC community to do so. Ergo we can assume(/hope) it'll take maximum advantage of a whole range of hardware, but there is a possibility that even on the PC version's lowest/default settings, the requirements may be a little/significantly higher (the team has stated they're aiming for maximum detail and quality.)

-Nih

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I wanted gts 450, but there is none in my country at the moment :)

so , I got 6670. I am gonna test it on oblivion tonight. It should be max everithing.. right?

Yes, it should. Remember Oblivion loves a lot of RAM too.

And if it says "6600 series" then it's fine. AMD and nVidia make drivers for "series" of cards with similar hardware. Imagine having an specific driver for each card created, ugh, the hell xD

Anyway, tell us how it goes!

Cheers!

danilovul

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
well, I tried the 1024x768 resolution, with anti-aliasing x8 and bloom, max distance, grass, shadows and everything else that can be maximised

played for one hour, and it went perfectly smooth. :)))

I didn't try higher resolutions, since I have an old LG 17' monitor. I doubt it would look good.