New build with old parts: Help please

anatom12910

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hi guys, I recently got a GPU PCIE-v2.1 which is not compatible with my cruddy mobo with a PCI-E v1.0. I was wondering if I can upgrade my mobo using my current CPU. I do not have a big budget. Heres the full info on my PC.

and about the RAM, I'll buy DDR3 RAM if needed for a new mobo (if upgrade is possible).

Mainboard : Asus Lancaster IPILP-LC
Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
Processor : Intel Pentium E2140 @ 1600MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
Hard Disk : Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 ATA Device (320GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP w1907 - 19 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8101 PCIe Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 3.2 on 7.9 (this is bad :[ )

This is using PC wizard

According to CPU-Z I have a Socket 775 LGA

Solution
Your processor is compatible , but your memory [ RAM] is not . The MSI board uses DDR3 and you have DDR2 .

I have no idea why your mb isnt detecting your graphics card . It should simply auto detect and then just work .
Try resetting BIOS to default . Reboot a few times .
Remove/ uninstall the graphics drivers for the integrated gfx in task manager , turn the pc off , add the gfx card and then boot with the monitor hooked up to the card
The video card is compatible with the pci-e 1 x16 slot on your motherboard . The data speed will be the slower speed but in practice it makes almost no difference

All sandybridge motherboards have this limitation when you SLI or crossfire [ a pci-e 2 x16 slot in x 8 mode is the same as the original pci-e x16 ] and they work fine

anatom12910

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Really now? That's great. I've tried numerous methods such as disabling my integrated graphics and then running with my HD 5670 but I get no signal from my monitor. I've also went to bios and changed the Primary Graphics Boot to PCI Express x16. I guess I'll need to update my bios. I'll need to go back to windows vista then upgrade to windows 7 :|.

Lets say if that doesn't work:
is this motherboard MSI G41M-P26 Socket 775 G41 Motherboard compatible with my CPU, they're both LGA 775 socket and my graphics card?

Your processor is compatible , but your memory [ RAM] is not . The MSI board uses DDR3 and you have DDR2 .

I have no idea why your mb isnt detecting your graphics card . It should simply auto detect and then just work .
Try resetting BIOS to default . Reboot a few times .
Remove/ uninstall the graphics drivers for the integrated gfx in task manager , turn the pc off , add the gfx card and then boot with the monitor hooked up to the card

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
And make sure you plugged any additional power cable if necessary (1-2 x 6-8 pin PCI-e connectors)

anatom12910

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The GPU is connected to the PIC-E x16 slot ON the motherboard haha. The graphics card does not have a power connector slot so I don't think I need one. The GPU's fan runs, my monitor just isn't getting a signal.