Toshiba M40X-RH4 - Any good?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 4:12:30 AM

I was wondering if the Toshiba M40X-RH4 is any good overall?
Is there any problems I should expect and/or can be avoided?(besides
dead pixels and short battery life)
I couldn't find any reviews or non-bias information for this notebook so
I got a little worried.

I'm an amatuer when it comes to notebooks but experienced with desktops.

My home computer is mainly for gaming like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and all
the
other power hungry computer games. I've always wanting a notebook for
portablity, taking it on long trips(going to LA next year) and web
publishing.

RAM is upgradable to 1GB which I'm fine with, as well as the CPU speed.
The price is right, since I'm looking for an inexpensive notebook but
also
holding a bit of power to multi-task(switching from one program to
another)

I'm mainly going to use it for:
- Burning cds/DVDs(data and music mixes)
- Graphic programs(Photoshop, Fireworks)
- Listening to mp3s(Winamp; streaming and from HD)
- HTML editing(FTP, editors, notepad, etc...)
- Uploading pictures from Digital Camera(Canon Powershot A60)
- Movie editing(3 minute movie clips, avi & mpg format)
- Internet Browsing
- Word Documents
- Hosting Wireless Games for Nintendo DS(supports the wireless network
card)*
- Wireless & USB connections with Sony PSP(hosting internet connection*,
uploading files)
- Mid-Late 90's Computer Games(for some R&R; Command & Conquer/Starcraft
games in mind)*

* = not very important

Tech Specs:
CPU: Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.5GHz)
Screen: 15.4" WXGA TFT
RAM: 256MB DDR (max = 1280MB)
HD: 40GB
CD/DVD: DVD Super-Multi Double Layer Drive(DVD/CDR Writer)
Battery: Lithium-Ion
Network Card: Built-In 10/100 Ethernet LAN Network Connection & Wireless
LAN 802.11g
Graphics Card: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 With 128MB DDR Shared Video
Memory

Thank you in advance!

More about : toshiba m40x rh4 good

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 4:12:31 AM

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Danielle Bradley wrote:

> I was wondering if the Toshiba M40X-RH4 is any good overall?
> Is there any problems I should expect and/or can be avoided?(besides
> dead pixels and short battery life)
> I couldn't find any reviews or non-bias information for this notebook so
> I got a little worried.
>
> I'm an amatuer when it comes to notebooks but experienced with desktops.
>
> My home computer is mainly for gaming like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and all
> the
> other power hungry computer games. I've always wanting a notebook for
> portablity, taking it on long trips(going to LA next year) and web
> publishing.
>
> RAM is upgradable to 1GB which I'm fine with, as well as the CPU speed.
> The price is right, since I'm looking for an inexpensive notebook but
> also
> holding a bit of power to multi-task(switching from one program to
> another)
>
> I'm mainly going to use it for:
> - Burning cds/DVDs(data and music mixes)
> - Graphic programs(Photoshop, Fireworks)
> - Listening to mp3s(Winamp; streaming and from HD)
> - HTML editing(FTP, editors, notepad, etc...)
> - Uploading pictures from Digital Camera(Canon Powershot A60)
> - Movie editing(3 minute movie clips, avi & mpg format)
> - Internet Browsing
> - Word Documents
> - Hosting Wireless Games for Nintendo DS(supports the wireless network
> card)*
> - Wireless & USB connections with Sony PSP(hosting internet connection*,
> uploading files)
> - Mid-Late 90's Computer Games(for some R&R; Command & Conquer/Starcraft
> games in mind)*
>
> * = not very important
>
> Tech Specs:
> CPU: Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.5GHz)
> Screen: 15.4" WXGA TFT
> RAM: 256MB DDR (max = 1280MB)
> HD: 40GB
> CD/DVD: DVD Super-Multi Double Layer Drive(DVD/CDR Writer)
> Battery: Lithium-Ion
> Network Card: Built-In 10/100 Ethernet LAN Network Connection & Wireless
> LAN 802.11g
> Graphics Card: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 With 128MB DDR Shared Video
> Memory
>
> Thank you in advance!

I'd say go for at least a Pentium rather than CELERY (missspelling is
Intentional!). Of course if your a vegetarian I suppose CELERY
would work. Look at a price around $2700 and stick with Tosh if
possible.
Kokomo Joe
August 7, 2005 11:00:02 AM

Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
: I'd say go for at least a Pentium rather than CELERY (missspelling is
: Intentional!). Of course if your a vegetarian I suppose CELERY
: would work. Look at a price around $2700 and stick with Tosh if
: possible.

Most people don't need much CPU power on their laptop and a Celeron
will be just fine. In the casr of the Celeron M, its main drawback
besides slightly reduced performance is that it lacks some of the
power-saving features of its big brother Pentium M (part of Centrino),
so the battery may not last quite as long. Then again, a budget
laptop might not have a huge battery anyway.

If battery life is more important to you than cost, go for a Pentium M
or Centrino. If cost is the most important thing and you aren't too
worried about CPU performance or battery life (as long as they are
both OK), don't be afraid to go with a Celeron M.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
August 7, 2005 3:24:48 PM

I recently purchased my first laptop computer; a Toshiba M40x (m00) model.
Its exactly the same as the one you are looking at but it has a Intel
Centrino (1.8) processor (faster)
My desktop computer is a P4 3.2Ghz and I must say I was a little
disappointed with the speed of the M40x
so I would suggest you stay away from the Celeron processor because that
would be a LOT slower again.

My observations so far.
No dead pixels, screen nice and sharp and bright, on FULL (mains) power
Battery life about 2 hours.
Wireless networking works great once I got rid of "config free"
I especially like the feature where you can watch a DVD without booting to
the OS.
I have done a little DVD authoring on it and its really slow (compared to my
fast desktop)
I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5Gb but didn't make much speed difference (from
512Mb)

Don't forget you have shared video card memory so 128Mb from the 256Mb
doesn't leave much
for running XP.
Go for the NEXT model up that has a Centrino processor and 512Mb RAM

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
> : I'd say go for at least a Pentium rather than CELERY (missspelling is
> : Intentional!). Of course if your a vegetarian I suppose CELERY
> : would work. Look at a price around $2700 and stick with Tosh if
> : possible.
>
> Most people don't need much CPU power on their laptop and a Celeron
> will be just fine. In the casr of the Celeron M, its main drawback
> besides slightly reduced performance is that it lacks some of the
> power-saving features of its big brother Pentium M (part of Centrino),
> so the battery may not last quite as long. Then again, a budget
> laptop might not have a huge battery anyway.
>
> If battery life is more important to you than cost, go for a Pentium M
> or Centrino. If cost is the most important thing and you aren't too
> worried about CPU performance or battery life (as long as they are
> both OK), don't be afraid to go with a Celeron M.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 5:35:34 PM

U¿ytkownik "Falco" <johnyfalco@bigfoot.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
>I recently purchased my first laptop computer; a Toshiba M40x (m00) model.
> Its exactly the same as the one you are looking at but it has a Intel
> Centrino (1.8) processor (faster)
> My desktop computer is a P4 3.2Ghz and I must say I was a little
> disappointed with the speed of the M40x
> so I would suggest you stay away from the Celeron processor because that
> would be a LOT slower again.
>
> My observations so far.
> No dead pixels, screen nice and sharp and bright, on FULL (mains) power
> Battery life about 2 hours.
> Wireless networking works great once I got rid of "config free"
> I especially like the feature where you can watch a DVD without booting to
> the OS.
> I have done a little DVD authoring on it and its really slow (compared to
> my fast desktop)
> I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5Gb but didn't make much speed difference
> (from 512Mb)
>
> Don't forget you have shared video card memory so 128Mb from the 256Mb
> doesn't leave much
> for running XP.
> Go for the NEXT model up that has a Centrino processor and 512Mb RAM
>

> "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
>> Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote:
>> : I'd say go for at least a Pentium rather than CELERY (missspelling is
>> : Intentional!). Of course if your a vegetarian I suppose CELERY
>> : would work. Look at a price around $2700 and stick with Tosh if
>> : possible.
>>
>> Most people don't need much CPU power on their laptop and a Celeron
>> will be just fine. In the casr of the Celeron M, its main drawback
>> besides slightly reduced performance is that it lacks some of the
>> power-saving features of its big brother Pentium M (part of Centrino),
>> so the battery may not last quite as long. Then again, a budget
>> laptop might not have a huge battery anyway.
>>
>> If battery life is more important to you than cost, go for a Pentium M
>> or Centrino. If cost is the most important thing and you aren't too
>> worried about CPU performance or battery life (as long as they are
>> both OK), don't be afraid to go with a Celeron M.
>>
>> Andrew

I have 2 questions:
1) what wifi module do you have (intel pro 2200BG)?
2) if yes - what protocol do you use - WPA?

Because I have Toshiba M30X and when using WPA PSP - my notebook restarts
every 2-3 hours. It is a big problem, and as far as I know - it concerns
Each Intel Pro 2200BG.
Yawn
August 7, 2005 8:20:58 PM

Falco <johnyfalco@bigfoot.com> wrote:
: I recently purchased my first laptop computer; a Toshiba M40x (m00) model.
: Its exactly the same as the one you are looking at but it has a Intel
: Centrino (1.8) processor (faster)
: My desktop computer is a P4 3.2Ghz and I must say I was a little
: disappointed with the speed of the M40x
: so I would suggest you stay away from the Celeron processor because that
: would be a LOT slower again.

You can't say it would be "a LOT slower again" without seeing for
yourself. Maybe the M40x itself is just a slow machine. But it is
hard to know exactly what you mean by being disappointed by the speed
of the M40x - could have nothing to do with the CPU.

FYI, in some tasks my 2GHZ Celeron laptop is *faster* than my old
1.8GHZ P4 machine. Celeron has an undeserved reptuation as being a
dog compared to its more powerful Pentium brother. Celeron will be a
little slower for many tasks but most people aren't going to care.

: I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5Gb but didn't make much speed difference (from
: 512Mb)

More memory than 512MB isn't going to make ANY speed difference unless
you are running a lot of applications at the same time, probably
something like Photoshop with a lot of images open.

: Go for the NEXT model up that has a Centrino processor and 512Mb RAM

Centrino by the way is not a "processor" - it's a package from Intel
for laptops, and it includes the Pentium M processor.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----