Sign in with
Your question

Browserchrash, blue screen, chkdsk on startup and freezing on windows7

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2012 6:55:48 PM

Hi,
I'have been experiencing with these problem for the last 3 months.
-all browsers crashing continiously, reseting chrome profile etc.
-blue screen per hour
-auto chkdsk on startup (scanning disk and fixing errors) in xp and win7
-win7 freezing in every half an hour

1.86 ghz dual core
1.5 gb ram
80 gb toshiba hdd

This is an old laptop.Do you have any idea about the problem?

Thanks in advance
August 8, 2012 7:42:15 PM

Sounds like you have already re-install the os...

What's the CPU temperature?
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2012 7:53:35 PM

try re installing windows

also, try checking SMART on your hard drive, it's probably not the cause of all the problems, but it couldnt hurt to see if you have errors popping up... im about to test a windows one with wine so i will post it if it's alright :p 

yep... works fine http://hddscan.com/
Related resources
August 8, 2012 8:01:21 PM

vodomore said:
Sounds like you have already re-install the os...

What's the CPU temperature?

yes I tried windows xp and windows 7 home, same problems in both os.and I forgot one thing : while installing xp it gives a copy error like "press esc to skip "filename.dll" or enter retry.after skipping some files, installation finishes with nı problem.

this is an asus laptop and it works in very high temperatures since I'have bought it.it changes 50 -80 degress , fan is always working and I've never seen any problem because of temperature for almost 4 years.
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2012 9:30:22 PM

80C isn't too bad for a laptop, when it blue screens can you get a picture? a more experienced member could tell you what the issue is then
August 8, 2012 10:26:26 PM

nna2 said:
80C isn't too bad for a laptop, when it blue screens can you get a picture? a more experienced member could tell you what the issue is then

actually I'm using win7 home now.blue screen was in xp.İn win7 it just freezes after every 1 or 2 hours and causes me to lose what I'm doing.Even if it was xp it would be impossible to get a picture because it disappears instantly and restarts.I listened hdd and there is noticable sound in it but not to loud? is it normal?I replaced rams with one another it didnt change. I think the problem originate from cpu, hdd or directy motherboard.may be it is time to buy a new one
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2012 11:53:36 PM

you would have to RMA it to asus to get the mobo replaced, what are you doing when the freezes occur?
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2012 1:19:06 AM

Your hard drive is dieing. Buy a new one.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 1:33:08 AM

^on my old p4 system the hardrive is dying (906 SMART errors) and i never have issues with crashing, and have only locked up once
August 9, 2012 4:19:18 AM

when it freezes the screen turns black for 3 seconds and restarts.sometimes I have to restart it manually.
August 9, 2012 4:31:59 AM

nna2 said:
^on my old p4 system the hardrive is dying (906 SMART errors) and i never have issues with crashing, and have only locked up once

I'm not sure but the hdd is full of big movies and softwares.they are not broken.rarely I cant open some video and photo files because they are broken in hdd.chdsk screen appears frequently at startup suggest me to check files in c: d:. it finds some errors, delete some entries etc. if I skip that screen, browser crashes and freezing are more frequent if I permit it to repair hdd.it stands for 1 or 2 hours and ask me to repair hdd after freezing again.so I think my hdd is dying.

-sometimes I delete a movie file permanently and download a new one with torrent into the same disk.when I try to open this new file, it interestingly find and open a deleted file which I erased two months ago ! :D 
August 9, 2012 4:36:04 AM

daship said:
Your hard drive is dieing. Buy a new one.

I think I'll buy a new laptop
August 9, 2012 6:38:03 PM

I changed one of the rams with a 2gb samsung ram and it works fine for now.faster and no freezing
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 8:29:11 PM

good to hear, i've had chkdsk or whatever it is kill windows before so be careful of it lol
!