Planescape Torment: What's good about it?

Hey there

I love the BG series and IWD as well.
What's good about Planescape Torment?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about planescape torment what good
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    RA <asdf@ra.com> wrote:

    : I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    : What's good about Planescape Torment?

    Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK ME!! PICK ME!!"

    --
    Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?

    Plot. Excellent story-telling. Atmosphere. NPCs.

    For me, the Planescape setting alone is attractive enough (I don't know any
    other game that is based on Planescape, except the CoGI project of NWN).
    With all other good elements together, PS:T is undoubtly the best CRPG on my
    list.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    KC Wong wrote:

    >>I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    >>What's good about Planescape Torment?
    >

    > Plot. Excellent story-telling. Atmosphere. NPCs.
    >
    > For me, the Planescape setting alone is attractive enough (I don't know any
    > other game that is based on Planescape, except the CoGI project of NWN).
    > With all other good elements together, PS:T is undoubtly the best CRPG on my
    > list.

    Agreed. There are very few novels with a better story-line. Perhaps the
    best part is that nothing is immediately obvious. My favorite game ever.

    Enkidu
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jason Compton <jcompton@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message news:<cipcji$ns$1@new7.xnet.com>...

    > Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK ME!! PICK ME!!"

    We sure do.

    -Echon

    The Fields of the Dead
    http://echon.cyg.dk/bgmod
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    RA wrote:
    > Hey there
    >
    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?
    >
    > Thanks

    Atmosphere. Deep, complex and though-provoking storyline. Excellent
    character interaction. It's a masterpiece (and I don't say that lightly).

    If you've ever enjoyed a good book, you'll probably love this. Best PC RPG
    ever made? Certainly. Well...until PS:T II.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Jason Compton" <jcompton@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message

    > Some people really like dialogue options so bizarre that they say "PICK
    ME!! PICK ME!!"

    When yeh start in on rattlin' yeh bone-box like that I cannae understand it.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?

    I didn't like the game. It's deap, yes. And many funny creature. But I
    could not get involved with the nonamed. It wasn't me in the game. Unlike
    Viconia in bg. I understood her story, and I wanted to help her. She was my
    companion to the very end. The nonamed was a figure on the screen, but not
    in my mind. I played pt in about 10 hours, but it was wasted hours. The
    200hours in bg2 was a long, joyful partytime. Like the many hours with my
    mage in Elder scrolls 3. Bernt E
    --
    -----------\\---------\\//---------//-----------
    Og her hopper Nøtteliten: "Hei på deg"

    "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in news:FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54:

    > Hey there
    >
    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?

    I really tried to get into PST...however I was always looking for that bit
    more all the time.

    PST seemed bland to me, maybe it's because it had a lack of action, I know
    this was done on purpose to try and engross the 'reader', but for me it
    never really captured my imagination.

    Neverwinter Nights seemed to be the flip side of the coin, with too much
    action and not enough plot. Again after trying and trying I could never
    'get into it'.

    BG1 and 2 seemed to have the right blend of action and plot...and captured
    me entirely.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > > What's good about Planescape Torment?
    > >
    > I didn't like the game. It's deap, yes. And many funny creature. But I
    > could not get involved with the nonamed. It wasn't me in the game. Unlike
    > Viconia in bg. I understood her story, and I wanted to help her. She was
    my
    > companion to the very end. The nonamed was a figure on the screen, but not
    > in my mind. I played pt in about 10 hours, but it was wasted hours. The
    > 200hours in bg2 was a long, joyful partytime. Like the many hours with my
    > mage in Elder scrolls 3. Bernt E

    Viconia and TNO are different - can't be compared that way. Viconia is a
    NPC, a companion of the protagonist (which means, you). OTOH you are TNO.
    Viconia to the protagonist in BG is like Annah or Fall-from-grace to TNO in
    PS:T.

    Also roleplay is about assuming other roles... you don't have to be TNO. You
    pretend to be him - you have amnesia. The game provided you all TNO knows
    about: You've lost your memories, you woke up in Dusties' place, you're
    horribly scarred, and a floating skull with no manners has just decided to
    stick with you no matter you want or not.

    Some like to roleplay characters similar to themselves... some like to
    roleplay characters completely different. TNO is such a role.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hi,

    "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in message news:FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54...
    > Hey there
    >
    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?
    >
    > Thanks

    Well differences with BG and IWD. In PST you also has to read a lot and
    fight a little less. It has an excellent story and a very original
    environment (lot's of very different places and characters). I enjoyed the
    game very much. After BG this is the second on my list of great RPG's.

    Regards, Ron AF Greve
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in message news:<FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54>...
    > Hey there
    >
    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?
    >
    > Thanks

    i appreciated the large number of side quests. what bothered me about
    torment was:

    - alot of the humor and dialogue was a little juvenile. juvenile in
    the same way a kid that laughs when poking a dead cat with a stick is.
    some of the dialogue is extremely well done, but the dumb parts kinda
    ruin it. most likely they had one or more good authors and one or more
    retards.

    - the game ends just when it starts to get good. why bother leveling
    up your characters after getting back from that other dimension if you
    can't use them anyway? and i spent forever power-levelling the sewers
    trying to get the 2 super rare ultimate drops from those powerful
    demons that spawn there later in the game, only to not get the chance
    to use the extra ac points anyway. also, the ending was a little of a
    letdown too, IMO...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Some like to roleplay characters similar to themselves... some like to
    > roleplay characters completely different. TNO is such a role.

    Thank you. That's perhaps the reason why I don't like pt. I like to play
    rpg-figures that ar similar to myself and my interest. That's why I usual
    play good mage:-) Bernt E
    --
    -----------\\---------\\//---------//-----------
    Og her hopper Nøtteliten: "Hei på deg"
    http://www.notteliten.com
    -----------//---------//\\---------\\-----------
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Planescape: Torment feels a lot more like an adventure game than a
    traditional D&D computer RPG to me. Your choices in dialogue are the most
    important choices you'll make, for instance, and you can't create your own
    character. That said, it's still a great game, into whatever group it falls.
    Wonderful atmosphere, good characters, very interesting story. Some people
    love it and think it's the best game ever; some people think it's way
    overrated. I don't think it's the best game ever, but if you can find it for
    $50 or less, it's well worth it in my opinion.

    "RA" <asdf@ra.com> wrote in message news:FCR3d.20527$wV.1761@attbi_s54...
    > Hey there
    >
    > I love the BG series and IWD as well.
    > What's good about Planescape Torment?