Canon A95 Size of stored pic.

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
March 22, 2005 6:12:32 PM

I have plenty of spare mem and mainly use the pics for web/screen.
Now and then I will need to print a picture at say 8x10 inch.
If the camera takes all pics at 5mb and then works on it (resample) to
arrive at a lower resolution - What do I gain by using a lower
resolution?
If I only take pics at the highest - Will the camera have less work to
do and bat last longer?
Is it likely my graphics programs - paint shop pro and Corel - will
resample better than the A95?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:14:39 PM

<London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
>I have plenty of spare mem and mainly use the pics for web/screen.
> Now and then I will need to print a picture at say 8x10 inch.
> If the camera takes all pics at 5mb and then works on it (resample) to
> arrive at a lower resolution

Is that what your camera does? Sound very stupid to me.

> - What do I gain by using a lower
> resolution?
> If I only take pics at the highest - Will the camera have less work to
> do and bat last longer?
> Is it likely my graphics programs - paint shop pro and Corel - will
> resample better than the A95?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
March 22, 2005 7:42:44 PM

<London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
> I have plenty of spare mem and mainly use the pics for web/screen.
> Now and then I will need to print a picture at say 8x10 inch.
> If the camera takes all pics at 5mb and then works on it (resample) to
> arrive at a lower resolution - What do I gain by using a lower
> resolution?
The image is smaller, but the same size print looks worse. So, by using a
lower resolution, you really gain increased image degradation.
> If I only take pics at the highest - Will the camera have less work to
> do and bat last longer?
It has less work to do, but that part of the camera does not wear out very
fast.
> Is it likely my graphics programs - paint shop pro and Corel - will
> resample better than the A95?
Yes.
Jim
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:47:31 PM

The only thing you gain by shooting at lower resolution is more shots per
given flash card. The camera does not resample that I know of. Battery
usage between resolution sizes is minimal. Using the lcd display for
framing will use up batteries faster by far than resolution size. Shoot at
the highest resolution and fegedaboudit.

<London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
>I have plenty of spare mem and mainly use the pics for web/screen.
> Now and then I will need to print a picture at say 8x10 inch.
> If the camera takes all pics at 5mb and then works on it (resample) to
> arrive at a lower resolution - What do I gain by using a lower
> resolution?
> If I only take pics at the highest - Will the camera have less work to
> do and bat last longer?
> Is it likely my graphics programs - paint shop pro and Corel - will
> resample better than the A95?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:29:34 PM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> <London@am2ma.eu> wrote in message
>> I have plenty of spare mem and mainly use the pics for web/screen.
>> Now and then I will need to print a picture at say 8x10 inch.
>> If the camera takes all pics at 5mb and then works on it (resample) to
>> arrive at a lower resolution - What do I gain by using a lower
>> resolution?
> The image is smaller, but the same size print looks worse. So, by using a
> lower resolution, you really gain increased image degradation.
>> If I only take pics at the highest - Will the camera have less work to
>> do and bat last longer?
> It has less work to do, but that part of the camera does not wear out very
> fast.
>> Is it likely my graphics programs - paint shop pro and Corel - will
>> resample better than the A95?
> Yes.

I thought recieved wisdom was otherwise. Don't suppose you have a reference
to confirm this do you?
!