Sign in with
Your question

Z77E-ITX dual monitors

Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2012 10:39:08 PM

Hi, I am thinking of getting the Z77E-Mini ITX board from ASRock. I see that it has a DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort and only two of them can be used at a time (supposing I don't get a separate video card).

To use with this machine I will have one monitor that only connects by VGA, and one monitor that does DVI. Since I already have a VGA to DVI adapter, I think I should plug the VGA monitor into the DVI output, rather than getting another VGA adapter which would soon be obsolete.

For the other monitor, I guess I will need a DVI adapter. Will this work? Should I go for an HDMI or DP adapter? Do I need to be aware of "active" or "passive" in this situation?

Also, according to the manual, you need to run some ASRock software to get the dual monitors working... which I presume is Windows only. Has anyone managed to use dual screens with the onboard graphics only on Linux?

More about : z77e itx dual monitors

a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 4:02:59 AM

what CPU are you using because ivy bridges HD 4000 gpu can support 3 monitors on it's own
August 9, 2012 6:10:02 AM

3770k, yes the GPU can but this mobo can't, apparently.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 7:36:41 AM

linux does not support dual monitors. and forget using a dvi/vga adapter just get a cable some dongles get flonky. pages 24-26 in your manual pretty much explains everything that it is the drivers not any software you need to install from the CD.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 8:34:01 PM

my distro supports multi monitor (ubuntu LTS 10.4)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 8:41:46 PM

for a nVidia card you may get it going but for AMD is a hit or miss and good luck with that with intel HD 2/3/4000. seriously don't count on it.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 10:53:01 PM

i've never had an issue with multi monitor on my AMD gpu's
September 2, 2012 1:59:00 AM

I have a z77e-itx with a 3570K (HD4000) working fine with 2 24 inch dell monitors using ubuntu 12.04.

...Using the DVI and Display ports.

I have not been able to run 3 monitors yet with this setup using the HDMI port. Did not spend a lot of time trying.
a b V Motherboard
September 3, 2012 8:51:01 PM

^under the display setting, do you not have a "detect monitors" button? cause that should do it for you :p 
!