Sign in with
Your question

A Little Confused...

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • SATA
Last response: in Motherboards
August 8, 2012 10:37:47 PM

Okay, so I'm almost finished my build. I just have to get the I/O plate in (maybe, would take a lot of work), get the HDD in, and plug the SSD into the SATA port on my motherboard. It's a Gigabyte Z77, this one: http://wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Z77X-UD3... My question is, where the *** is the SATA port on the motherboard? Thanks in advance :) 

More about : confused

a c 111 V Motherboard
August 8, 2012 11:17:10 PM

Link is broken. You'll find the SATA ports between the P1 connector slot and the LED Debug panel. The white ports are SATA 6 GB/s, and the black ports are SATA 3 GB/s.
m
l
August 8, 2012 11:21:09 PM

The link is fixed. So that's what those black/white ones are...
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:42:27 PM

I'm still mad confused. I can't get the SATA cable to fit into the port. It's in the worst possible spot. I have an Antec 900 and there's a fan a couple inches away from where the port is. I've been trying to get it in for ten minutes now -_-
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 12:11:55 AM

why is a fan so close to the sata ports, the only thing that should remotely be close to it is the HDD cage
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:29:48 AM

It's an empty fan "slot", where a fan could go. It was annoying to get in there.
m
l
a c 111 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 1:37:07 AM

I think I'm getting confused now... If the slot is empty, why are you having difficulty inserting your SATA cable(s)? Alternatively, why can't you pull the mobo out, then insert the cables, then reinstall the mobo?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 1:41:08 AM

the only reason why im oddly confused is that no fa should be that close to that portion of the MOBO. fans are usually located at the front of the case(in front of the HDD cage), sliding side panel, back and top. the Sata ports are located behind the HDD cage, which is the opposite side to where the front fans are.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 5:18:14 AM

Nobody else mentioned this but the OP says one of the last things, he or she has to do is install the I/O plate, that should be one of the first things.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 5:20:22 AM

bkoop said:
Nobody else mentioned this but the OP says one of the last things, he or she has to do is install the I/O plate, that should be one of the first things.

yes, the i/o play is usually installed first, as it is installed from the inside of the case usually and not the outside. (which means OP isnt reading any of the handy manuals or pictures to aid him/her in installation of the computer)
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:23:20 PM

Everything is in. I managed to push the I/O plate in from the outside of the case. Seems close enough to the motherboard to work. Just gotta get my monitors and peripherals in then it's complete.
m
l
!