Multiple Monitors, Windowed Full-Screen and Crossfire

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Just had a new monitor arrive a couple days ago (HP ZR30W 30")- now using my Hanns G 28" as productivity screen. Also use it to have MSI Afterburner etc running. The plan was to run games on the main screen and be able to seamlessly switch to a web browser, other programs etc.

What I just realized is that in full screen mode you can't use other windows- you're confined to that one program currently running. You have to minimize or alt+tab to use another program, at which point it's not seamless. The next option is to go full screen (windowed mode)- the problem is that Crossfire and SLI don't support this mode. I run 2x HD 5850 1GB. Does anyone know of any kind of workaround for this or is "get a faster single card" the answer?

Additional question: I know 6990/590 are technically crossfire/sli on one board. Do these multi GPU cards take a performance hit when using full screen windowed mode (like actual crossfire/sli setups) or do they perform like one very fast card? If someone with one of these cards could weigh in it would be helpful vs speculation.

Agondie

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

I have the exact same question and have not been able to find an answer to it.