Sign in with
Your question

4 x 2GB RAM & only 4GB is recognized. Help!

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2012 12:06:45 AM

I bought 4, 2GB DDR3 Memory Modules for my computer & installed them but only 4GB is showing up instead of 8GB of RAM. They are all the exactly the same.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit so I know it's capable of going past 4GB. All of the Memory Modules work, I don't think it's a bad slot because prior to installing the new RAM, there was a 1GB in the slot that is no longer recognizing the 2GB installed there.

I've updated my BIOS, I made sure each one works but how can 2 of the 4 slots just not work anymore when they were working earlier today?

More about : 2gb ram 4gb recognized

August 9, 2012 12:09:07 AM

Oh & it's memory modules 3 & 4 that are working while 1 & 2 are not working. I've reseated them, moved them around & such but still 4 GB is the highest it will ever go.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:36:52 AM

what happens when you put the modules currently in 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 (and boot w/o anything in 3 and 4)?

You need to first find out if it is defective modules or RAM ports.
m
l
Related resources
a c 129 } Memory
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 12:38:56 AM

This is a known problem with some Intel chipsets, most commonly in the Intel 4 and 5 series.

First, reset your firmware settings (BIOS settings). Do not just pull the battery out because this won't do anything on motherboards that store their settings in Flash memory. Consult your motherboard's manual and follow the procedure to the letter.

This will fix this exact issue 9 times out of 10. If not...

Second, if your motherboard has PCI slots it may have a compatibility setting for remapping PCI addresses above the physical memory. 32 bit operating systems require that they be mapped in the lower 4GiB for compatibility reasons but this is not necessary on 32 bit systems with PAE or 64 bit systems. At startup, your firmware doesn't know whether you're loading a 32 bit OS without PAE, a 32 bit OS with PAE, or a 64 bit OS. Since the SDRAM has to be initialized completely before an OS can be loaded the firmware will sometimes map them incorrectly. Toggling such a setting may fix the issue
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:01:11 AM

Well, earlier today when it was not recognizing the other 4 GB of Ram, I put the original 1 GB modules in the same configuration before I had tried installing the 8 GB and it will boot with only 1 GB of RAM when it should be 2 GB of RAM.

So for whatever reason, module 1 & 2 will not boot if there is no RAM in module 3 and/or 4. 1 & 3 are where the original 1 GB modules were situated before installing.

How could 2 of the 4 slots just not work anymore when they had worked prior? I was also very careful seating the modules so that nothing was damaged so I don't understand what could have happened.
m
l
a c 129 } Memory
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 1:20:40 AM

ThatTrekBoy said:
Well, earlier today when it was not recognizing the other 4 GB of Ram, I put the original 1 GB modules in the same configuration before I had tried installing the 8 GB and it will boot with only 1 GB of RAM when it should be 2 GB of RAM.

So for whatever reason, module 1 & 2 will not boot if there is no RAM in module 3 and/or 4. 1 & 3 are where the original 1 GB modules were situated before installing.

How could 2 of the 4 slots just not work anymore when they had worked prior? I was also very careful seating the modules so that nothing was damaged so I don't understand what could have happened.

What motherboard do you have?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 92 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 1:37:32 AM

Under advanced options in msconfig, any chance you are limited to 4GBs?
m
l
August 9, 2012 2:30:05 AM

It's a Dell Inspiron 560 w/ Intel Dual Core processor. The msconfig was one of the first things I checked :/ 
m
l
August 9, 2012 3:23:52 AM

Sounds like your motherboard limit is 4gb of ram maximum. A Intel Dual core is at least 6-7 years old since that was before the Core2duo line.
m
l
a c 129 } Memory
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 9, 2012 3:34:48 AM

ThatTrekBoy said:
It's a Dell Inspiron 560 w/ Intel Dual Core processor. The msconfig was one of the first things I checked :/ 

Could you find out what chipset you have?

Intel Dual Core doesn't mean much and the Inspiron 560 is a very old computer. If it's an Intel 900 series motherboard it will only support up to 4GB of memory period regardless of the configuration. The Intel 3 series and later support 8 or more
m
l
!