Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 running 65 - 80C at load

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 9, 2011 11:16:24 AM

Hi,

I don't know much about the workings of computers but I know that almost 80C sounds high. Is there anyway I can bring this down with home methods? Ie not buying anything?

This is my system, I've been monitoring my CPU heat with RealTemp:

Dell E520 upgraded with:
Q6600 2.4ghz
Powercolor HD4650 512mb Go Green edition
8GB RAM
305W Dell PSU
I also have an extra set of USB Slots and an Aurean soundcard (both PCI.. I think)

I don't overclock. I've been playing BF3 with a very poor graphics card, but that's temperature doesn't go above 65 generally. It doesn't have a fan. If I got a GPU with a fan, would that help the CPU just by proximity? Or perhaps could the bad GPU be causing BF3 to put more load on my CPU???

Is it possible that hoovering the system out would help my temperatures? It's not dusty in there though.

Thanks in advance!

I'm idling now at 40 - 60 C, but I reached 77C after 5 minutes of BF3 earlier. Core #0 is ALWAYS 5-7C higher than the others

More about : q6600 running 80c load

November 9, 2011 11:21:57 AM

1 core always run hoter then other...and temps seems ok to me do you use stock cooler?
a c 115 à CPUs
November 9, 2011 11:25:32 AM

the q 66 should idle at around 30 if your using the stock intel cooler.
so either its full of dust or you need more fans in your case.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 11:43:18 AM

Since it is a Dell PC, and you don't know much about PC hardware, i'm going to wager that the heatsink/fan needs to be re-seated to the CPU with a fresh application of thermal compound. That PC has probably been running 5 years on the same initial application of the heatsink/fan to the CPU. Also, as others suggested, adding fans (if possible) and cleaning dust/dirt (if dirty/dusty) is always a good idea.

Since you're not familiar with building PC's and whatnot, i would have a friend or someone who know what to do re-apply the HS/F with new thermal...
November 9, 2011 12:34:06 PM

Thanks guys, I just have it a hoover and found a lot of dust hiding at a strange angle in the case, I got rid of it to find an extra fan I never knew was there.

I just ran BF3 again for10 mins or so and reached a max of 73C so that's a small improvement.

Yikes I don't like all this talk of thermal paste after my old PS3 ylod'd (which was a paste issue) I bought the computer off ebay last year, but it was originally built in early 07. The seller had upgraded to the q6600 so I reckon its probably only about 3 years old.
November 9, 2011 2:24:18 PM

Try removing the heatsink and reapplying thermal paste. I just built my machine yesterday and when i booted it and looked at temps, they were around 45C iddled.

I ran Crysis2 and alt tabbed and saw the temp go from 85 to 98C!!!!!! Lol I immidietly shut it down, removed the heat sink and saw that only half the paste that was on the heatsink was smeared on the back of the cpu.

I reapplied thermal paste, just a small pea size. Now I'm down to 30 and run Crysis at 65.

Thermal paste cost me like 8 $ at local computer dealer. It's cheap and efficient. I suggest you unmount the heatsink clean any dust stuck in it and reaply paste.
November 9, 2011 3:32:10 PM

I'm looking into getting the paste now, I'll look on youtube for any tutorials on application. Thanks!
!