Solved

Asus p9x79 hangs at q-code 67 cpu dxe initialization

Hello I've recently build a system using Asus p9x79 deluxe, Intel core i7 3930K, Patriot Gamer 2 Series Division 4 Edition 32 GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, an ssd and a graphics card.

I successfully setup windows and shutdown the computer. The next day, the motherboard didnt start at first and then it started to hang at q-code 67 which is the cpu dxe initialization state according to manual.

I tried plugging out power, clearing cmos, taking out and reinstalling all the components. It still hangs at 67.

Also, power button does not turn off the system so I have to plug it out everytime.

Any comment greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Eren

The power button no longer shuts down the motherboard
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus p9x79 hangs code initialization
  1. Welcome to the defective asus motherboard club.
    Can you say: "Intel or gigabyte?"
  2. Intel and Gigabyte all have there own defective clubs to.
  3. soundguruman said:
    Welcome to the defective asus motherboard club.
    Can you say: "Intel or gigabyte?"

You're kidding - right!

Gigabyte's club would be much larger and with significantly less sales. Their initial X79's were sooo bad they were pulled off the shelves. Intel's aren't much better and are lousy OC'ers.
  4. More than likely it's your RAM try (1) stick in the following DIMM slot, failure try another stick:

| -- | -- | -- | -- | CPU | -- | RAM | -- | -- |

Q - What exact RAM lit? ; please provide a link.
  5. jaquith said:
    More than likely it's your RAM try (1) stick in the following DIMM slot, failure try another stick:

Q - What exact RAM lit? ; please provide a link.

So I tried the configuration jaquith suggested and was able to boot again, however it didn't after a shutdown. My ram also isn't among the compatible ram list posted by asus.

I don't think this is a motherboard issue anymore because they sent me another one and I still faced the same problem.

Also, I read somewhere that going above 1333Mhz is risky with this mobo.

What do you guys think?

(by the way, what do you mean by ram lit?)
  6. Best answer
    The problem might be a combination of things. First, I'd use the latest non-(.CAP) BIOS specifically v1203 (.ROM) - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_DELUXE/#download and update either by ASUS EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS Flashback - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

The 8GB/stick can be a PITA to keep stable in consumer RAM kits.

There's (3) three 4x8GB DDR3-1600 kits and here's my observations with the 8GB/stick density:
    PV332G160C9QK 9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v ; harder to keep stable CAS 9 @ 1.50v
    PGQ332G1600ELQK 9-9-9-24 @ 1.60v ; easier to keep stable CAS 9 @ 1.60v but it depends on the VCCSA
    PV332G160C0QK 10-10-10-27 @ 1.50v ; probably the easiest to keep stable of the (3) listed

Q - What EXACT kit?

Start:

BIOS:
    F5
    /Intel SATA -> RAID if RAID is used
    AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP ; Profile 1 should be loaded
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

DIMM Slots:
    | RAM | -- | RAM | -- | CPU | -- | RAM | -- | RAM |
  7. the kit I have is PGQ332G1600ELQK,

I'll give it a shot and let you guys know...
  8. IF there's still an issue add VCCSA Voltage -> Manual and VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v.
  9. Thanks alot jaquith, I finally stabilized the build.

Quick notes though, I used XMP profile 2, I was getting overclock failure error on every 2-3 boots on XMP profile 1. I also had to lower the CPU Fan Min alarm RPM from 600 to 200 to get rid of the CPU Fan error message I get occasionally.
  10. Best answer selected by eberen.
  11. eberen said:
    Thanks alot jaquith, I finally stabilized the build.

Quick notes though, I used XMP profile 2, I was getting overclock failure error on every 2-3 boots on XMP profile 1. I also had to lower the CPU Fan Min alarm RPM from 600 to 200 to get rid of the CPU Fan error message I get occasionally.

Hmm...I see that with the Cooler Master 600RPM (+/- 10%) fans, and yes it's best to lower the threshold than disable it.

Profile 2 (IF offered, most kits have only 1) is probably a little 'looser' and easier on the CPU to handle.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards