Sign in with
Your question

Help Please: Attempting upgrade but no display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2011 1:17:53 AM

Hello, all. I have a desktop PC that is a few years old (HP a6244n) and I was looking to upgrade the video card. It has a GeForce 8300GS in it right now. The specs state that the MB has 1 PCI-E x16 slot which I believe is currently occupied by the 8300S. I bought an MSI R5750 MDIG card from a guy at work, but I can't get it to work.

I powered down and unplugged the PC. I replaced the stock PCU with a 500w PCU and used an adapter to make a 6 prong plug from two 4 prong plugs. I removed the old card and insert the new card and connected the power source. When I plugged the machine back in and boot it up I can heard the machine running and the fan on the card spins, but I get no display.

Previously (using an old geforce card) I had the same result but I was able to plug the monitor into the onboard display output and could at least see the system load. However, after several failed attempts to purge drivers and load different versions I gave up on that card and figured maybe it was a bad card since it was old and had been sitting unused for a while.

Now this newer card, the R5750, is only a couple months old (according to my co-worker who I think is being pretty honest with me) and it doesn't work either. Even if I unplug the monitor and plug it into the onboard video output I get no display.

Anyone have any idea why I can't get this R5750 to work on my machine?

a6244n specs:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

June 19, 2011 4:36:12 AM

Update: Although the directions that came with the video card instruct to phsycally install the hadware prior to installing drivers, a friend of mine said that a lot of ATI cards have problems with this. He suggested I download and install the latest ATI drivers for the HD Series 5750 and then do the physical instalation of the card.

Results: Previously, when installing the card I could get no display from the card or even the on-board output. I told my friend this after installing the drivers and then when I started the PC (sure enough) no display out of the card. However, I did get display from the onboard video output. But here's the kicker...i made a stupid mistake when I did the phys install and did not connect the 6 pin PCI-E power supply to the card. Once I shutdown and connected this power supply I was right back where I started with no display from the card or the onboard video output.

This got me thinking that my PSU was the likely culprit, but then another friend said that no power to the video card meant it was not active and then when I plugged it in and it became active it caused conflict for the onboard video. He speculated that while it COULD be a PSU problem it could just as easily be something else.

I checked the sys reqs for this card (Radeon 5750) and it only requires a 450w PSU (mine is 500w) so now I'm thinking maybe he's right...maybe it's not the PSU.

Any smart people out there with info that can help? This is driving me crazy.
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 5:06:21 AM

I think you have to disable the on-board graphics in your bios set-up.
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 7:35:12 AM

you might need to update your motherboard bios. older motherboards like that may not work with newer cards at all. I suggest returning the card if you can and getting something different, something that is pcie 2.0, not 2.1, like a gts250. Its unlikely the power supply, it should at least boot, the card only uses power when under load in 3d games. Just booting it will only use like 20watts.
July 12, 2011 10:38:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. Still haven't gotten it to work, but a friend at work told me that the card requires 24 amps on the 12v rail. The PSU I have in it only has 18 amps on the 12v rail.

So...I probably need a new PSU AND a bios flash. :) 
!