November 9, 2011 12:57:38 PM

Build :

MOBO: Gigabyte MA 770T UD3p
RAM: G Skill 2x2GB Ripjaws 1600
GPU: XFX HD4870 1GB
HD: WD Caviar Green 500 GB
PSU: [OLD: Raidmax 630w (shorted out)] Replaced with: Corsair GX 750w
CPU: AMD Phenom II 720 BE

Two years after the completion of my build, my PSU fails {should not have bought this cheap brand} , shorts out. I thought that it did not take any other components with it so I went out today to replaced it with a Corsair GX 750w with future upgrades in mind. When I connected everything there is no display on the screen, nothing.

-all fans and lights work
-cpu fan works
-HD spins
-CD/DVD drive works

But, Nothing displays. I have a feeling that the problem is the graphics card but I currently have no way of testing it out. I have already tried using another monitor, but to no avail.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

sorry if i put this in the wrong category, don't know where this should go.
November 9, 2011 2:01:06 PM

Might be a silly question... But have you taken everything out and reinstalled it?
Score
November 9, 2011 4:01:38 PM

itzdanielp said:
Might be a silly question... But have you taken everything out and reinstalled it?

Yes, i did, everything, carefully. Tried everything I could think of. I removed the mobo and everything reseated, thermal paste etc.

Score
Related resources
November 9, 2011 6:46:25 PM

Disconnect every cable and all cards and only connect the PSU to the motherboard, the CPU and heat sink to the motherboard, and the RAM on the motherboard and turn it on and see what happens.

It would be even better if you take everything including the motherboard out of the case and do this on a wooden table. The cable that goes to the power button can be shorted in order to turn the PC on while you do this.

Per your last response it sounds like you may have done some of this, but it is unclear so I might as well say it again.

Whatever you did do, you may want to describe in detail everything you did rather than saying something like this "Yes, i did, everything, carefully. Tried everything I could think of. I removed the mobo and everything reseated, thermal paste etc."

While you know what all that means, its harder for us to know so its harder for us to suggest things you didn't try yet.

While you are doing the first thing that I described (If you didn't already) you can try RAM in every possible combination. One in each slot sequentially, two in every combination of slots, and so on. Doing this sort of test can only help us determine the root cause of problems more quickly.

The key is to find out situations when things don't work like they usually do so keep an eye out for stuff like that while testing. The usual case being "not working in this specific way", pretty much anything different than that is useful (such as "not working in this different way").
Score
November 10, 2011 4:36:27 AM

Sorry about the lack of detail but I am now certain that something is wrong with the video card as I tested an old radeon x1300 and it works fine. My card fan runs but no display (it uses the power from the PCI-e slot) . I made sure to connect the two 6 pin connectors.

Is it possible I have faulty PSU that cannot run my card even if I tried the other two 6 pin connectors as well. I think this is highly doubtful.

Could a PSU shorting out really take out just the video card? this is really puzzling that no other parts were harmed.
Score

Best solution

November 12, 2011 5:03:10 PM

A PSU shorting out can damage anything that it is connected to.

Probably 90% of the time that a PSU just goes off and never comes back on, then no other parts got damaged.

If sparks fly and you see bright light, the chances are much higher that something that was connected to one of the power cords was damaged.

The PSU generally connects to pretty much everything including twice to the motherboard, so almost nothing is safe from its wrath completely.

The fact that a $20 PSU can possibly take down a $400 video cards, $250 processors, and $150 motherboards is one reason people here stick to expensive brands they can trust.

The Corsair brand of PSUs is generally top of the line and doesn't have trouble running anything when brand new. I would say only maybe 5% of the time a PSU is DOA or even less. If you just got the new corsair one the likelihood of it working should approach 100%.

Unless you have yet another one laying around, that would be hard to test. You could RMA the new one, but chances are good you would get the same one back with a note that they tested it and it worked fine.

If the old video card works and the new one doesn't, it does sound very much like the PSU took the video card down with it. Before you went RMAing the PSU, you might want to at least try replacing the video card with another different one that is equal with what you have now.

I am guessing at least 75% likely that will get you up and running again.
November 18, 2011 12:31:16 AM

Best answer selected by mastercormic.
Score
November 18, 2011 12:38:08 AM

End Result: VGA is definitely dead and unfortunately cant be replaced (XFX sucks)

I brought it with me to several repair shops and they all said it was not repairable

I find it strange that the PSU made only a slightly audible sound before dying and it kills only my most expensive component (I have such terrible luck sometimes)

Thanks Everyone
Score
November 18, 2011 12:44:21 AM

Well, I use XFX parts so I wouldn't really say they suck, but like most companies they probably wont repair or replace things without appropriate documentation for warranties and stuff.

IIRC my XFX PSU warranty is for 5 years.

It sucks that you lost your video card to this but it really just is bad luck combined with bad PSUs.

That being said, an HD 4870 isn't the worst thing to have to replace. If you can get an old one new in the box its probably under $75 which is not bad as far as video cards go.

At least it wasn't a $700 video card or anything.
Score
!