2nd HDD for IBM ThankPad T42

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 5:44:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

My 14-month-old ThinkPad T42 run out of space and I am thinking of add an
2nd HDD to it. According to IBM, I have two options:

1. Get a ThinkPlus portable USB 2.0 hard drive.
2. Get a ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter for ultrabay slim and a ThinkPad HDD.

Which one do you think is better? With either approach, do I have to get it
from IBM? Can I buy a 3rd party external USB 2.0 HDD, or a 3rd party laptop
HDD and ThinkPad adaptor? If either answer is yes, which models do you
recommend?

Your help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 5:44:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Any of the above approaches will work, and you are not limited to
buying IBM. Hitachi and Fujitsu are used by IBM and are well received.
There are other good brands as well. I just would not recommend
Maxtor, as I have recently had 3 Maxtor hard drives fail (in a desktop
PC) within about a 20 month period.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 5:44:06 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 01:44:05 GMT, "internut80" <internut80@gmail.com>
wrote:

>My 14-month-old ThinkPad T42 run out of space and I am thinking of add an
>2nd HDD to it. According to IBM, I have two options:
>
>1. Get a ThinkPlus portable USB 2.0 hard drive.
>2. Get a ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter for ultrabay slim and a ThinkPad HDD.
>
>Which one do you think is better? With either approach, do I have to get it
>from IBM? Can I buy a 3rd party external USB 2.0 HDD, or a 3rd party laptop
>HDD and ThinkPad adaptor? If either answer is yes, which models do you
>recommend?

Well, what are your usage patterns/habits? I ask, because the
answer to that question can impact my recommendation. If you work
"on-the-go" you might want to consider the ultrabay adapter route. If
you don't need to be "on-the-go" I would suggest an external USB 2.0
drive. I often take my system out into a factory or warehouse
environment, so having to connect an external USB drive is not a good
choice, as it gets in the way of the conveyor equipment I am trying
to work on. If you work primarily at a desk, I would go with an
external enclosure that can use a standard 3.5" desktop HD, so you
can get very high capacity drives fairly cheap (300GB drive for under
$300, etc.) Lastly, you can go with the 2.5" drive external
enclosure, as some of those can actually run without needing to
connect to an AC outlet. I have a Seagate 100GB drive (2.5" notebook
drive) in a cheap external USB 2.0 enclosure and the drive is powered
from the USB port (using a 12" USB cable). This allows me to be
portable, yet not loose my optical drive at the same time. I have to
be a little cautious about my external drive and where I put it, but
it is an acceptable compromise for me.

Now, I have several different types of external enclosures. I have
two desktop enclosures that sit on my desktop and are connected to a
docking station. One has a 250GB drive for system backups, and the
other has an 80GB and a 60GB drive in it that I use for playing with
video capture/edit/render tasks to create home DVD's from other video
sources. I also have 3-4 of the portable (2.5" drive enclosures) that
I have notebook drives in. These are used to carry
data/source/configs for the systems I support. All of the ones I have
work great for me with the short (12") USB cables, so I don't need to
be near an AC outlet to use them with my system. None of my external
enclosures or drives are from IBM, although about half of the drives
are Travelstar drives.

As for recommendations, I like the Firelite 2.5" external drives.
They are small, quiet, quick, and power from the USB port (using
their provided cables, or my 12" cables). A little less
aesthetically appealing are the "cheap" enclosures I bought at CompUSA
(SKU 306130). They cost about $20 but they work as reliably as the
Firelite drives, and they come with a power cable to provide
additional power from a second USB port if you need. I have my
Seagate drive in one of these, and run it without the extra cable,
but I use my shorter USB cables for that drive. By using the separate
enclosure/drive setup, I am able to use an older 60GB drive I had
sitting in my desk as an external drive for holding "long term
storage" files freeing-up space on my internal drive, and I didn't
have to spend a large chunk of money right now to get it working...
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 2:06:26 PM

GomJabbar wrote:
> Any of the above approaches will work, and you are not limited to
> buying IBM. Hitachi and Fujitsu are used by IBM and are well received.
> There are other good brands as well. I just would not recommend
> Maxtor, as I have recently had 3 Maxtor hard drives fail (in a desktop
> PC) within about a 20 month period.

I have both but generally use them, and a DVD-rw, for backups. If you
do not use the CD-rw/DVD-rom often then the internal drive is great -
but it could be a drain on battery if using battery a lot.

The internal drive2 container for T42 will not work with my T20, this is
a downside for me as my USB drive works with any PC with USB.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 2:11:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

The ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter for UltraBay Slim is only available from IBM.
The rest of the stuff, including the hard drive, is available from 3rd
parties, cheaper and possibly better quality. To make a 3rd party drive fit
properly, you may need something like this
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/imp-59....
My experience with the T21 and the UltraBay 2000 HDD adapter, was that I had
to fabricate this bracket to get a Samsung 30GB HDD to fit well.

My advice is to get a hard drive about twice as big as the one you have now.
Replace the original drive with the new one, and use Symantec Ghost to copy
all your files to the new drive. For this, you need a USB drive enclosure
or a ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter. Now you have the additional space, but you
don't have to cart a second HDD around all the time. Use the original drive
and USB drive enclosure or ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter as a backup device.

Earle

"internut80" <internut80@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My 14-month-old ThinkPad T42 run out of space and I am thinking of add an
> 2nd HDD to it. According to IBM, I have two options:
>
> 1. Get a ThinkPlus portable USB 2.0 hard drive.
> 2. Get a ThinkPad 2nd HDD adapter for ultrabay slim and a ThinkPad HDD.
>
> Which one do you think is better? With either approach, do I have to get
it
> from IBM? Can I buy a 3rd party external USB 2.0 HDD, or a 3rd party
laptop
> HDD and ThinkPad adaptor? If either answer is yes, which models do you
> recommend?
>
> Your help are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 7, 2005 11:48:35 PM

"Earle Horton" <earle-NOSPAM-horton@msn.com> wrote in message
> To make a 3rd party drive fit properly, you may need something like this
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/imp-59....

Does anybody know if these guys sell them *with the screws*?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 5:00:04 AM

Otis wrote:
> "Earle Horton" <earle-NOSPAM-horton@msn.com> wrote in message
>> To make a 3rd party drive fit properly, you may need something like
>> this http://shop.store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/imp-59....
>
> Does anybody know if these guys sell them *with the screws*?

The screws are normally taped to the drive bracket.

If you bought one that came without the screws you'd certainly have grounds
for complaint, but the screws can be had at your local CompUSA, Circuit
City, Best Buy, etc.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 5:21:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Thanks everyone for your help. I have one more question:

If I decide to replace the hard drive with a larger (perhaps much larger)
one, which models are compatible to ThinkPad T42?

Thanks again!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 8, 2005 8:33:23 AM

internut80 wrote:

> If I decide to replace the hard drive with a larger (perhaps much
> larger) one, which models are compatible to ThinkPad T42?

Anything you can find up to and including the latest 120GB.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2005 10:20:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

There is a screw kit that you can order from IBM that has most of the
screws in the laptop (about 180 total), P/N 13R2916. It probably costs
more than you want to spend. You might try an electonics supply house
or Radio Shack for the screws you need.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 12, 2005 4:29:42 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:o 8yJe.3335$lK2.2300@trndny01...
> the screws can be had at your local CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Not in my town. But it was a pleasant bike ride hitting all three stores
this evening.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 2:23:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Radio Shack: "We never carried screws even when we sold computers."
Interex Computer: "I have one spare, but its not for sale."

"GomJabbar" <dkbatson@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> There is a screw kit that you can order from IBM that has most of the
> screws in the laptop (about 180 total), P/N 13R2916. It probably costs
> more than you want to spend. You might try an electonics supply house
> or Radio Shack for the screws you need.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 3:26:49 AM

Otis wrote:
> "JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8yJe.3335$lK2.2300@trndny01...
>> the screws can be had at your local CompUSA, Circuit City, Best
>> Buy, etc.
>
> Not in my town. But it was a pleasant bike ride hitting all three
> stores this evening.

Did you ask the guys in the service department?

Very strange they say they don't have any.

--
James
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

I did. There was a 'Geek squad' window at Best Buy where a search turned up
no specimens and the guy at Circuit City said he wouldn't sell them. The guy
who answered the little bell on the service counter at CompUSA to a rack of
motherboard screws and things. I could try catching a different Circuit City
guy, but I think its highly unlikely that any of these stores actually have
them.

> Otis wrote:
>> "JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 8yJe.3335$lK2.2300@trndny01...
>>> the screws can be had at your local CompUSA, Circuit City, Best
>>> Buy, etc.
>>
>> Not in my town. But it was a pleasant bike ride hitting all three
>> stores this evening.
>
> Did you ask the guys in the service department?
>
> Very strange they say they don't have any.
>
> --
> James

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 6:21:56 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:21:55 GMT, "Otis" <none@nonexist.com> wrote:

>I did. There was a 'Geek squad' window at Best Buy where a search turned up
>no specimens and the guy at Circuit City said he wouldn't sell them. The guy
>who answered the little bell on the service counter at CompUSA to a rack of
>motherboard screws and things. I could try catching a different Circuit City
>guy, but I think its highly unlikely that any of these stores actually have
>them.

Some "high-end" hobby stores also carry them, but you would probably
have much better luck at a hardware store like Ace Hardware. They
tend to have an aisle (or two) of bulk screws. You can usually take
your part with you and have one of the guys help you find what you
need.

Many notebooks tend to use 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0mm machine screws of
varying lengths (depending upon what it is needed for).
!