Phenom ii x4 965 vs i3 2120

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Which of the two would be better? Naturally in applications such as photoshop and video rendering, that take advantage of the number of cores on the processor, the Phenom would be the the victor; however, in programs that do not do so such as a majority of current video games, web browsing etc., would the i3 2120 outdo the Phenom 965? I am trying to decide which of the two I would like in a rig for my brother/family. It will be primarily used by my brother (in which he will do an extensive amount of gaming), and a little by the rest of my family for video streaming, e-mail, web browsing, and light gaming such as flash games. The rig WILL have an HD 6850 in it, and a minimum of 4 Gbs of RAM. The processor WILL NOT be overclocked (but you can always state if the 965 OC is better than the 2120 and its limited OC). FYI the price difference between the two is negligible meaning price does not matter. Dependent on the processor I will also need a motherboard, so any suggestions are also welcome. That being said, thank you for your replies in advance as I searched through most of the forums and came up with no results. :(

Solution

Yes, or at least not so simple.

Passmark measures the productivity of all the cores.

For gaming, which needs a few fast cores, 2120 is better. For multi threaded app throughput 4 slower cores is better.

If you do both, which is more important to you?

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
A low end six core would cost an extra fifty dollars or so and I think the and six cores are a little overkill for my needs xD not saying they are bad but if I am spending so much I would rather bump up to an I5. Also the I3 benches higher it seems. I knew it out did the 955, but according to those benches it also beats the 970 and 965. And since they cost around the same, this is a mild no brainer. Last question though. Do you guys think that a $20 dollar price difference between the 955 and 2120 is worth the performance difference?

Yes, or at least not so simple.

Passmark measures the productivity of all the cores.

For gaming, which needs a few fast cores, 2120 is better. For multi threaded app throughput 4 slower cores is better.

If you do both, which is more important to you?

Solution

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
hmmm, this is not as simple as I once thought, the i3 architecture is simply superior but 4 cores makes it hard to beat. My current rig has a 955 in it OC to to 3.6 GHz which is better than a i3 2120....maybe I'll just OC a 965?

Status
Not open for further replies.