Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

computer freeze

Tags:
  • Computers
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
November 9, 2011 2:47:05 PM

I recently upgraded my computer and now when i turn it on it freezes the specs b4 were
CASE: Antec twelve hundred
CPU:AMD AM3 560, 2 cores (now 4 cores now B60), 4.0ghz
Motherboard: Asus m4a785-m
CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212
GPU: HIS 6850
Power Supply: Antec 650W Earth watts ( died out when i added another video card)
Storage: 2xSeagate 500GB
Memory: Mushkins 2x2 4gb ddr2




NEW CONFIGURATION SPECS
CASE: Antec twelve hundred
CPU: AMD AM3 560 3.3ghz (not overclocked anymore)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3
CPU cooler: cooler master hyper 212
GPU: HIS 6850 (Crossfired with) Gigabyte 6850
Power supply : Corsair TX850M
Storage: 2x seagate 500gb
Memory: Patriot G2 2x4 8gb ddr3


I got a new Power supply because my other one wasn't holding off i know most of you say 650 is enough but its not, and besides the point my computer turns on now, but everytime i try to do something within 5 minutes it freezes and i have to shutdown i've tried sleeping overnight to see if it stopped lagging but it doesn't.

I honestly don't know what to put this category in because it could possibly be the CPU but i dont think so because when i log on its a 5%-50% nothing higher and its temp: is 15-30 degrees so i have no idea what the problem is, and everything is connected im 100% sure about this.

possibilities i can think of is the CPU which i doubt.
PSU I highly doubt its brand new and has enough power to support just 2x 6850's
Graphics cards could be a possibility but they are sending signals to my screen.

More about : computer freeze

a c 85 à CPUs
November 9, 2011 3:23:15 PM

Am i to understand that you have unlocked cores, lock them again, see what happens.
Score
0
November 9, 2011 3:56:21 PM

They are locked as you can see theres 2 configurations the top one was my old one that worked but i upgraded it so now it does not work, and yes my CPU is locked in the New configuration, because motherboard does not support unlock of cores.
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 6:54:26 PM

Just wondering, why did you downgrade your motherboard?

It may help in determining what the problem is to better understand why this was done.

Left to my own devices, I would assume that it was because the first one (while overclocker friendly) didn't have space for 2 video cards and the newer (less overclocker friendly) one does, but I would rather have you confirm that if possible.

Does the new motherboard work with just one video card?

A very small percentage of quality PSUs (like 1%) are DOA and probably some also small percentage are killed by the person who bought it before they get put into the PC somehow (another 4%), but even then the likelihood of that being true in your case is pretty slim.

Still, it is a possibility. If you can borrow an equal or better one from someone else, or perhaps buy one from the store and then return it within the grace period after you test it, then it would be worth trying to see if that changes anything.
Share
November 9, 2011 7:02:19 PM

Raiddinn said:
Just wondering, why did you downgrade your motherboard?

It may help in determining what the problem is to better understand why this was done.

Left to my own devices, I would assume that it was because the first one (while overclocker friendly) didn't have space for 2 video cards and the newer (less overclocker friendly) one does, but I would rather have you confirm that if possible.

Does the new motherboard work with just one video card?

A very small percentage of quality PSUs (like 1%) are DOA and probably some also small percentage are killed by the person who bought it before they get put into the PC somehow (another 4%), but even then the likelihood of that being true in your case is pretty slim.

Still, it is a possibility. If you can borrow an equal or better one from someone else, or perhaps buy one from the store and then return it within the grace period after you test it, then it would be worth trying to see if that changes anything.



You are correct the Asus one is more overclock friendly but the other one has cloud O.C and stuff, still kinda oc friendly its not a downgrade because, the audio on my Asus was horrible absolutely horrific, but the one for my new motherboard is really good as so i've heard and also it's the only mobo with x16/x16 thats below 200$ that i can find and it is not used it is brand new, and i have talked to the store before they got their technicians to look at it they said the mobo is fine but my old PSU (Antec EArthwatts) was too weak so i got a new one because b4 it wouldnt even turn on and now it does turn on but freeze
Score
0
a b à CPUs
November 10, 2011 2:13:39 PM

I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get your hands, at least temporarily, on a good 1000 and slap it in there.

What happens when you try it with just one video card?
Score
0
November 10, 2011 4:33:37 PM

Raiddinn said:
I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to get your hands, at least temporarily, on a good 1000 and slap it in there.

What happens when you try it with just one video card?



With 1 video card same thing happens i think i forgot to mention my windows 7 is not genuine so i'm starting to believe thats the problem.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 1:21:27 AM

It is possible, but the possibility seems remote.

When was the last time you formatted C?
Score
0
November 11, 2011 12:19:46 PM

Raiddinn said:
It is possible, but the possibility seems remote.

When was the last time you formatted C?


formatted c? im sorry i dont know what that is.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 5:04:51 PM

What I meant was, "When was the last time you re-installed Windows?"

If you stick in a DOS boot disk and start your computer and then type in the prompt

Format C:\

then it will delete every file and folder on the main hard drive.

Most of the time, if you just stick in your Windows XP or whatever CD it will boot off of it and ask if you want to format the computer and reinstall windows from scratch so you don't have to type that in manually anymore like you did in, say, the windows 95 days.

Some problems disappear completely from this simple step (back up your data to CD first, though).

The longer your computer goes without you doing this and the more things that get installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc the more clogged things like your registry become and the slower and slower computers get and it could lead to other weird problems as well.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2011 5:10:23 PM

Did you do a fresh install after the upgrade?
Score
0
November 11, 2011 10:56:32 PM

gnomio said:
Did you do a fresh install after the upgrade?


I did for the video card but when i try to get to the mobo, it freezes b4 i have a chance
Score
0
November 11, 2011 11:04:16 PM

Raiddinn said:
What I meant was, "When was the last time you re-installed Windows?"

If you stick in a DOS boot disk and start your computer and then type in the prompt

Format C:\

then it will delete every file and folder on the main hard drive.

Most of the time, if you just stick in your Windows XP or whatever CD it will boot off of it and ask if you want to format the computer and reinstall windows from scratch so you don't have to type that in manually anymore like you did in, say, the windows 95 days.

Some problems disappear completely from this simple step (back up your data to CD first, though).

The longer your computer goes without you doing this and the more things that get installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc the more clogged things like your registry become and the slower and slower computers get and it could lead to other weird problems as well.


umm mine was pirated so never, and i dont think thats the problem, because i have switched my hard drives around like they both have windows 7 cuz i made on as a backup the 2nd has only windows 7 thats it the first is like 500 files with windows 7, also maybe im forgetting to mention a lot of stuff when i log on a screen shows up saying my windows 7 is not "genuine" and i have to renew it i just click cancel through it and also my internet for some reason doesn't work but it works when i connect it to my laptop, and the motherboard bios says that it has a connection, but when i log on theres no connection.
Should I get the real windows 7 home premium OEM? and go from there, or it's not possible that windows is cutting my internet and producing mu computer lag?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2011 3:11:59 PM

I don't have any experience with Microsoft anti-piracy stuff. You are on your own for that.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't think Microsoft would sabotage your user experience, but that is just my guess.
Score
0
November 12, 2011 4:06:08 PM

Raiddinn said:
I don't have any experience with Microsoft anti-piracy stuff. You are on your own for that.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't think Microsoft would sabotage your user experience, but that is just my guess.

thanks for ur help i just got the windows 7 oem to see if it helps and it still lags but its better ty.
Score
0
November 12, 2011 4:06:53 PM

Best answer selected by lolzxdrofl.
Score
0
!